Chapter 2

It wasn't hard to adjust to this lifestyle. In fact I had the whole princess act down in the first few weeks of living in the palace. Just a couple months later I now know all there is to know about my great city, Amara.

Today my father will announce my marriage to Lord Carrington of Monitum. Refreshed from my nap, I yank the sheets off my bed in excitement for the night to come. I press the button on my wall and call for Mary. Within a few minutes she rushes into my room.

"You're awake thank goodness!" Mary says clapping her hands together. "This is a very big day for you. We better start getting you ready now!" Mary pulls me into the bathroom and starts running hot water for a bath. After scrubbing my skin raw and rinsing the lemon scented shampoo from my hair, I am left alone to dry myself off.

I open the door to my room and Mary stands in front of me holding the most beautiful dress I've ever seen. She slips the fabric over my head and zips me up. I slip into a pair of silver heels and get my makeup done.

She applies a small amount of silver eye shadow to my eyes and lines my eyelid with a black pencil. She applies a little blush to my cheekbones and lengthens my lashes with mascara.

Next she dries my hair and curls it, pulling it up into a complicated but elegant updo.

"Can I look yet?" I ask her eagerly.

"Go ahead." Mary twists me around so that I face the full length mirror. I am at a loss for words as I look at this new person in the mirror.

My hair is pulled up into a bun with some curls left to frame my face. Today I wear a silver crown atop my head. I look at my dress, spinning a few times for good measure and squeal. The emerald green dress has a very modest neckline with jewels decorating my shoulders. The simple bodice of my dress hugs my curves but flows out at my waist into an elegant skirt. The skirt is composed of layers of green fabric, with flowers dotting the dress. I hug Mary, careful not to step on her feet with my heels.

Mary tells me to wait outside the ballroom for my name to be announced and I walk downstairs, taking care to walk lightly with my head up. After waiting outside the ballroom for a few minutes, I hear my father say my name and I walk to the doors. I walk regally down the carpeted stairs as the people lucky enough to receive an invite to the ball, bow their heads as I enter.

After the excitement of my arrival dies down I walk over to my father. It is not hard to see him as his regal purple robes stand out in the ballroom. As I walk over I see that a man is talking to him but he stops mid sentence to look at me.

"You must be Rose" He says, a glint in his beautiful blue eyes. They're as deep as the ocean, and for a second I am completely immersed in them, forgetting to answer. I snap back to reality and stretch out my hand as he kisses it.

"That's me!" I say with a smile. "And you are Lord Carrington I presume?"

He nods in reply. "You are even more lovely than I thought you would be." He grabs my hand and pulls me onto the dance floor. I feel a blush creep onto my face at his compliment and my heart flutters in my chest.

I rest my head on his shoulder as we slow dance all night long. For a second I consider pulling away from him. I want to leave the ballroom and get to know the man that I am to be married to. I push away the thought. I must trust my father's decision. He wouldn't engage me to just anyone, I'm sure of that.

"Is everything alright dear?" Lord Carrington asks concerned. He must have felt me tense up.

I almost cringe when he calls me dear. After all he barely knows me. "Yes, I just thought I saw a spider." I say quickly, mentally slapping myself for my poor excuse.