Chapter Twenty-Eight

Dedicated to: MirandaKenneally

I know I usually dedicate my chapters to you guys, but I can't resist! If you haven't already heard, Miranda Kenneally is now on Wattpad and she's posting chapters of Catching Jordan on her profile. She's also uploading a dystopian work called Subversive. They are both great, and you guys should definitely check them out. Follow the dedication to her page :))

*******************************

            There are thirty-seven other people on my team, and not one of them is willing to sit with me.  I tell myself that I don't care, that I would rather have a full seat to myself anyway.  Maybe I would actually believe that if I wasn't jerking my neck every five seconds to glance at the rest of my team.  By the rest of my team, I obviously mean Elliot.  Naturally, he's at the back of the bus where the designated 'cool' kids sit.  Cassi's back there too, giggling and gossiping in her trademark pitchy voice.

            "Can we please close the windows?" wails Jenna. 

            I roll my eyes.  Her pathetic request will mark the eighth time someone's asked that in the last twenty minutes.  And like every time before, the bus driver barks a denial before starting on a long rant about smelly teenagers.  His gravelly voice squeaks through the intercom, causing even more grumbling from the backseats.

            Just as I am about to slouch down in my seat, someone suddenly slams against my side.  My head smacks against the window and bounces back into the person's shoulder.  I groan and clutch my head before glaring up at the person.  I expected to see Keely, or even Elliot; but instead, Aaron Wells is scrunched into the seat beside me.  He and I have never really talked, aside from the unfortunate time I caught him making out with Cassi in the basement.  Even then, it was only my stammered apologies and a relaxed laugh from him.

            "Um, hi," I say, shrinking back against the window.  Ever since the whole Dante incident, guys haven't been my favorite gender. 

            "Hey, Finn right?" asks Aaron.

            "Yeah."  Now I'm just kind of annoyed.  Is he really asking my name after three years on the swim team together?

            "You're hooking up with Elliot, right?" he asks without even the slightest hint of shame in his voice.  His eyebrows pop upwards and a suggestive grin dances over his lips.

            "Um..."

            "Or you were anyway." Aaron glances over the seat.  "Are you guys fighting?  Did the condom break or something?"

            My jaw falls open.  He cannot be seriously be asking me that right now.  I put a hand against my cheek, trying to shield the furious blush that's racing just beneath my skin.

            "Listen, I'm not trying to pry or anything."  Aaron leans toward me and lowers his voice, almost as though he's about to share a secret.  "Elliot's just been off lately.  I think he needs to be laid."

            "Well, he isn't getting any from me."  I cross my arms over my chest, trying to ignore the embarrassment that races through my body.  As lame as my comeback sounds, it's actually pretty good for me. 

            "Dammit Aaron!" Elliot's voice breaks from the tangle of conversations.

            "Relax man," calls Aaron.  "I'm just trying to help a brother out.  She's not feeling the whole sex thing though, sorry!"