Chapter 63.7

SO COLD

SO COLD

SLUGGISHLY, I WOKE UP from a deep sleep feeling a cold ache crawling up my right leg. I reached for the kicked-off covers to yank over my shoulders when someone's warm breath hit the back of my neck. It wasn't Cole, he was asleep on the pillow beside me, an arm hanging off the bed, flat on his stomach. Icy-cold fingers pinched at the hairs on the back of my neck and I yelled an expletive and flipped over. Trevor leapt back as if he'd been burnt. I stared at him in bewilderment and disbelief, demanding an explanation angrily. "What the HELL are you doing!?" I leaned to sit up, angling away the intruder, holding the covers to my chest to protect my barely-intact modesty.

Wide cocoa brown eyes met my gaze and hardened. His mouth tightened into a line and he pulled an elastic off his wrist and tied his dreadlocks up into a ponytail. He shrugged his shoulders and offered no elucidation, hummed to himself and then his mouth curled upwards slightly, laughing at his own internal-told joke.

Cole grunted softly, raised his head and squinted at the alarm clock. "It's six o' clock. What the hell is the matter?" His voice was gruff, thick with sleep and low. He turned over to lie on his back, closed his eyes, sighed and then as Trevor's appearance dawned on him, his eyelids shot open and he barked irritably. "What the hell is he doing here?"

"Hell if I know. He crept in here and was–" I stopped, deciding to omit details of Trevor touching the back of my neck; he was weird and obsessed with the idea of death and unconsciousness but harmless and there was no point in getting him into trouble. He respected Cole; Cole was the only person he could trust and I didn't have it in me to break his bond. "Get out, Trevor."

"I texted you to bring me your phone at two today. I waited up for you for three hours and then I had to search everyone's home to find you. You and Irvin are interrupting my work." Trevor accused, jaw clenched with anger. "I'm late on my schedule. You were supposed to receive a new phone by morning today and I could've ticked you off my checklist of people I could trust. I have to go through forty odd systems, read every text message, pull out every phone call, go through apps, every deleted image and I can't do that now because I'm behind. You've ruined my whole week!"

"I forgot, I'm sorry, OK?" I reached a hand under my pillow and pulled out my phone, holding it out to him. "I know I should've known better. It won't happen again, I promise."

"It's too late," he snarled, "you're now on red alert. I need to put you under careful examination for the next month. I don't trust you. What if you're the leak in our group? You could be working with outsiders."

"If you don't get the fuck out and leave us alone I will put a bullet through your temple, you dumb sonafabitch." Cole rumbled infuriatedly. "She was with me all day today. Take the goddamn phone. Get some sleep. And if I ever find you walking into someone else's bedroom at night again, I'll kill you. I'll put you in the ground."

"I didn't plan my own assassination and I'm not desperate to embrace death. If you think I'm double crossing my friends, you can go through my life with a fine tooth comb. If it makes you feel any better, I'll subject to whatever perlustratation you believe would be necessary. You can even shackle me to a table and play good cop bad cop by yourself. How about it?"