Chapter Nineteen

It was December now. I was supposed to be happy because it was nearly Christmas, but to be honest, Christmas just seemed like another day to me. Forget family - all my mum managed to do for Christmas was put a chicken in the oven (not even a turkey) and hang up some Christmas lights. I had never had the pleasure of opening an advent calendar, or getting twenty presents. I just merely got a hoodie or a book from both my mum and Levi. And then that got worse, because Levi wouldn't give me a present. Levi hated me, and therefore would ruin Christmas for me. It wouldn't be too bad with Aiden around, but then, I was pretty sure that he would be going back to Australia with his direct family. The only thing I was looking forward to was the prom, just in a few days time, on the seventh of December.

The whole year was buzzing about the school dance. Already I knew that this was the most special dance of the year - at least for the GCSE students. It was the Christmas one, exclusive to Year Ten and Eleven, and guaranteed to be nothing like the piles of crap that were the almost monthly Parents Association Discos. It wasn't exactly strictly Year Ten and Eleven - actually, if you were in the older years, you could come as long as a Year Ten or Eleven invited you. The teachers kept insisting it was a time for fun, and a date wasn't essential. But nobody cared about that. In fact, the teachers weren't even going to be there, just a few volunteer parents and a DJ.

If you didn't get a date, you were doomed to be a loner for the rest of the night.

It was funny, because I was one of the first people to get a date, surprisingly enough. Well, not exactly a date, just a someone to drag along with me so I wouldn't be more alone than ever. Aiden was a charmer, and if people believed that such a sweet guy like Aiden would like me, then they might finally give me a chance and give me some friends. If people believed I could turn up to a half-party and be normal, I had a chance. I would be popular.

It was now or never - I had to prove them wrong at the dance. It was the best opportunity I had.

 ***

"Lexi..."

"Yeah?"

"You know that dance in a few days?"

"Yeah..."

"Um..."

"What, Thomas?"

"Will you go with me?"

"Well..."

"Lexi?"

"I'm kind of already going with someone else. Sorry."

I could never forget that look of disappointment and sadness that was on Thomas's face.

***

"Lexi?" Aiden called from the other side of my bedroom door.

"Yeah?" I answered, top-coating my newly done nails.

"Are you ready yet? We're gonna be late for your school dance!"

I fanned my blue nails for a while, and then looked in the mirror. I looked okay, for once. I was wearing a new turquoise dress that I had bought earlier that week, that went down to my knees. It was covered in gems and sequins, with a flower design and suited me quite well. My hair was the problem - but after watching endless hair tutorials from YouTube, I settled for a fishtail braid with a sky-blue flower clipped into it. Adjusting the straps on my dress slightly, I opened the door to see Aiden grinning at me.

He looked quite good, tonight, actually. Aiden had a good old suit on, and his hair was all messed up like it normally was. I guess boys didn't have to spend so long on clothes, but then they always managed to look better in less time. As for girls, it took me at least two hours for my hair alone and I still looked awful.