fourteen

Jimin p.o.v

We burned, 

--

"And then, they seemed to disappear faster than before." I confessed to Yoongi.

He nodded and pulled out a long list of diseases and syndromes that mocked me;

Dementia, depression, mild cognitive impairment,

Alzheimer's disease.

"It's too early for me to diagnose you, but this is indeed something very serious, Jimin." He seriously informed.

"It can't be something mild because you're only twenty seven and with the severity you're describing, it's been brewing for a long time."

I kept silent, choosing to stare at the list of words, trying to fold them to memory.

Yoongi then conducted his first test. I was supposed to remember a given person's name, address, age and occupation.

"Aaron Henderson. 142 Orchard Drive. 20. Chef."

And then for the next few minutes, he informed me of his suspicions.

"I don't want to diagnose you right away, but I am suspecting,"

He gulped and bit his lip.

"Alzheimer's disease."

And that was enough to make me lose my mind.

I picked up the cup of coffee and threw it against the door. Dark liquid trickled against the white paint,  mocking the tears that followed.

In the medical world, we all knew what that meant.

That parts of my brain were shutting down and there was no cure. That the longer I live, the more I'd forget, the more closer I was to death. 

"Jimin, can you repeat the information I told you three minutes ago?"

This was it. The test that determined my fate.

"I-I"

I stared at Yoongi's expressionless face, but the drumming of his fingers gave away the nervousness he was feeling.

"I don't remember."

My dry tongue spoke and my hands sweat like hell.

Yoongi remained expressionless, but he was in fact, pained. That he had to be the one to witness this.

"I'm not giving up yet. Let's take a CT scan of your brain."

The CT scan came clear. Meaning I had no tumours or cancer.

Meaning it was definitely Alzheimer's.

Yoongi even conducted memory tests, each and every kind of them, not giving up hope that maybe this was just a temporary mind fuck.

But we both were surgeons. We knew.
Yoongi came back with a bundle of pamphlets and records.

"I need to check one more thing to officially diagnose you and that's your family history. But unfortunately, I can't find anything about your father." He sternly asked.

"He died of an unknown heart disease."

His expression darkened.

"No he didn't."

"What are you saying?"

He looked down at the record and said,

"If he died of an unknown heart disease, it would say so. But your father, he didn't die in the presence of doctors."