fifteen

Third p.o.v

Fate is,

--

Yoongi payed more attention to Jimin than the road ahead. 

After not being able to bear it any longer, he had decided to go and press his ear to the door, immediately regretting it. Jimin was screaming hysterically while his mother was uncontrollably sobbing. Loud noises of his yelling and blames made Yoongi want to throw open the door and take him in his arms.

Yoongi loved him. More than he loved himself. 

After driving for half an hour in silence, Jimin interrupted his thoughts, asking to stop at a particular park. As soon as the car skidded to a stop, Jimin unbuckled his belt with shaking fingers and ran out. Yoongi followed behind him. 

Jimin ran inside the park and started touching all the flowers. He started plucking them all off the ground, but soon stopped when he reached a certain bed of blue flowers. He bent down on his knees and lightly touched its petals, still wet from this morning's rain. The sun hid behind blankets of clouds, not knowing when it would be dis concealed. 

Tears pricked at Yoongi's eyes, staring at the broken state his friend was. The friend he was never able to confess his love to. Because that day in the bar was interrupted with the person Jimin soon came to love so passionately, forcing Yoongi to shush his heart's desires and step away from its pleadings.

Jimin plucked the flower slowly and then another,

and another,

and another one,

and soon enough, he aggressively picked all the blue flowers and threw them against the dewy grass that stained his grey jeans. He screamed out a cry and buried his head in hands, crying hysterically once again. 

Yoongi walked over to him and sat down in the grass beside him. He carefully put his hand on his shoulder, letting Jimin's cries prick his chest. 

"I-I'll forget him! I'll forget all of you!" He sobbed and wailed. 

Yoongi never cried, but for the first time, he let his tears out in front of Jimin. His heart cried for Jimin and shared his pain. Just as he was about to wrap his arms around him once again, Jimin wrestled away from his hand on his shoulder and stood up. He ran to the cherry blossom tree and beat his hands on the bark. 

"I'll forget his smile, I'll forget his scent." His voice cracked and he cried madly, like a mad man in love.

He brang his fist up and punched the tree's bark over and over again, fist bloodying from the painful cuts. 

"Jimin! Stop!" Yoongi ran to Jimin and tried to pull him away.

"If I'll forget Jungkook first, then I can't be reminded of his scent..." He stopped fighting Yoongi and let himself stumble back in his arms. 

Yoongi wrapped his arms around him tightly, not letting go him, his beating chest pressed to Jimin's back. 

"If you want to break something, then please, at least don't break yourself," Yoongi pressed his face to Jimin's back, tears joining his plead. 

"If you want to break something, then Jimin,

 break me." 

Yoongi asked of him. 

"I get that you're hurt, I'm too,

so Jimin, if you need to break things,

then you can break me too."

He clutched his friend's hand, careful not to press his fingers on his cuts. 

Jimin raised his face to the sky, letting the cherry blossom petals graze by his falling tears. Even with the late Autumn's harsh winds, they still remained alive and he found himself wondering when they would die. Perhaps they'll die before him. Perhaps they'll die after him. 

Death itself was now packaged along with the Alzheimer's that was slowly eating away his brain and shutting it down slowly, at this very moment. 

He brought his hand to catch a cherry blossom and one fell into the centre of his palm. He brought it close to smell its scent, reminding him of a certain boy he'd die for.

How long would it be before even this cherry blossom would fail to remind him of his love?

How long would it be before he'd be buried underneath this tree, even spending eternity, with his scent?

Jimin felt the tears of his best friend against his back and turned around, slowly escaping from his gripping arms. 

He saw a battered Yoongi for the first time in his life. But what if he's seen him like this before? What if his memory had erased him of the sight?  

"Yoongi, I wasted my life. I pointlessly became someone with no worth anymore," he croaked out to his streaked cheeks. 

He shook his head even before Jimin uttered his last words.

"No. You didn't waste your life." His husky voice replied.

He smiled and lifted a finger to wipe away his tears.

"Because you met Jungkook. And you saved him. And you fell in love with him."

Yoongi purposely didn't say that Jimin also met him because he knew that in this moment, Jungkook mattered to Jimin more than he ever could. 

Jimin wanted to warm up again, he really did. But the disease was living in his brain, forever residing there until the day he died. Forgetting first dates, then words, then people, then everything. Because he had the disease at such a young age, it was plaguing the brain faster than ever at his stage.

There were seven stages of Alzheimer's, final stage making him prone to the most dangerous infections, heart attacks and organ failure. His brain would shut down completely on itself and even prevent him from fully walking again. 

Jimin was at stage four. 

And Yoongi couldn't cure him. 

No one could cure him. 

I wish I could be the one to kiss you and comfort your pain, Jimin, Yoongi thought. 

But he couldn't because Jimin didn't love Yoongi, 

he loved Jungkook. 

And it was apparent that no matter how hard Yoongi would convince himself to just tell him, 

Jimin would never notice. 

--

fucking inevitable.