Part 6

I woke up feeling happier than I had felt in years. Papa had tried to convince me to return with them but I couldn't. So, we came to a compromise; he would visit us during the holidays and whatnot this year and then next year, James and I would go see him.

I had a whole year to come up with a way to make sure that I didn't run into Alexander or his wife. Sighing softly, I slip from my bed and rush through my morning routines. James, Papa and I were going to spend a few hours together before he and the others departed for England. And I was looking forward to getting to know more about my father.

A smile blossomed on my lips as I made my way down the stairs. It wasn't until I was almost to the dining hall when I felt how uneasy my wolf had become. She was pacing relentlessly in my mind; back and forth as a whine slipped from her. Instantly, my walls were up as I stepped through the doorway coming to a halt.

Sitting at the table, casually eating breakfast with my pack, his warriors, and son, sat my mate. My eyes roamed his face, taking in each little difference and burning it deep within my memory. His face held a darker tan, his hair a bit longer. As if he knew I was standing before him, Alexander looked up and our eyes locked. My heart, which had been racing, stopped. There was a look in his eyes that told me life had been hard for him in the past six years, just as it had been for me.

I don't know how long I stood there having a stare down with my mate. But when his son spoke, effectively breaking the spell between us and causing Alexander to glance down at him, I spun around and sprinted out of the house.

The queen wasn't with them. My wolf whispered softly as I tore through the forest, my destination the small meadow where I had hidden away in yesterday. Our bond, which had slowly begun to grow numb, flared alive with twice as much feeling. My wolf reveled in it as she began to flash pictures of when we first met him and our encounter just moments ago. Alexander Tate had aged well over those six years; he was still as breathtakingly handsome as ever.

When I reached the meadow, I collapsed to my knees as I tried to calm my frantic racing heart. My mind turned towards his son and the wave of love that radiated from my wolf towards that little boy had me stunned. Alexander's son might not be mine, but my wolf saw him as hers because he was her mate's pup. And where was the queen? Surely he hadn't left her behind while he and their son came to the States for a visit.

I didn't stop my thoughts as they turned to my mother, sisters, and the man that raised me, the man I had called father. How had they taken the news once they found out that I had run off? I knew that my mother was probably relieved that I was no longer around as a daily reminder. My sisters might have missed me, but they would have been busy getting to know their mates and the like. And my father, we were in no way related but he had loved me as if I was his own. I knew that he would have truly missed me the most.

The snapping of a branch had me jumping to my feet, spinning around. I came face to face with a concerned brother and father. When the concern turned to worry, I knew that I didn't hide the pain and hurt that I knew was on my face quick enough.

"What's wrong Kathy?" Papa spoke softly as he and James came to a stop beside me. I look down at my hands before meeting their gazes. They were my family and I loved both of them. Yet, could I tell them what tore at my heart? Could I tell them the truth and cause them to doubt their king?

Shaking my head, I flash them a fake smile while knowing that they knew it wasn't real. "I just saw someone that brought some bad memories up is all," I whisper as I dry my face. Neither of them truly believed me, but thankfully, they didn't push the issue.

"So, what do you want to do Dad?" James asked after several stressful minutes passed. Papa shrugged as he smiled at both of us. "As long as I'm spending time with both of you, it doesn't matter to me." His words were filled with love, as were his eyes. "Why don't we go for a run?" I suggested and James laughed.

"Yeah Dad... That would give Kathy and me the perfect chance to show you who the best one is." Papa chuckled at James' tone and I just shook my head. Slinging my arm casually around my brother's shoulders, I smile at him. "We both know who the best is between us," I start to say softly as my grin grows. "And it's obviously me."

James gave me a look of fake rage. He charged at me, the air echoing with his loud cry. I dodged him, laughing as I watched him chase me around the meadow. "I'll show you I'm the best." He called out, barely being able to speak past his laughter.

I just shake my head and quickly shift. James and Papa quickly follow suit and the three of us take off. We stay close to the boundaries as we fly through the thick brush. All three of us were equally matched as we raced, each of us easily keeping pace with the others. As we ran, I shared my childhood with them and they told me stories of where they had traveled as James grew up and how Papa became the king's head warrior.

The family bond between the three of us grew stronger during those few hours of bonding and when we finally found ourselves back in James' meadow, my heart became heavy. I didn't want to say goodbye to my father, even though I would have James with me. Once our wolves had calmed down from the rush of racing, we shifted back and just sat side by side in silence. We all knew what was coming but no one wanted to speak of it.

"When's your birthday Kathy?" Papa asked suddenly as he looked at me. "In a few months," I say as I meet his eyes. "I'll come back and celebrate it with you. And I'll be back for Thanksgiving and Christmas." The upbeat and hopeful tone of his voice brought a tender smile to my face.

Just as James went to speak, a howl echoed through the air as Papa's eyes glazed over a bit. Alexander was calling, so it must be time for them to leave. I could feel tears burning my eyes but I quickly blink them away. It wasn't like Papa would never come back, I remind myself as I stand up, pulling James with me.

They both give me a sad smile as Papa wraps his arms tightly around me. My arms were wrapped just as tightly around him as I fought to keep from crying. "I'll be back before you know it. And there's always face time or Skype," he added with a laugh. I chuckle softly as I step back letting James get a hug in.

"Eric," a deep voice spoke behind us and my body stiffened on its own as I recognized my mate's voice. James gave me a weird look but I just brushed it aside. "My king," Papa replied with a nod of his head. My back was towards Alexander and I made no move to turn around. "You remember my son, James?" Papa spoke as James moved to shake the king's hand.

"I do and it's good to see him again." A very uncomfortable silence fell among us and I knew that if I didn't turn around soon, it would just get worse. Taking a deep breath, thankful that the wind was carrying his scent away from me, I slowly turn around. I could feel my wolf aching to rush forward and hug him, never to leave his side again. He has a family, I remind her as I keep my eyes glued to the ground.

"And who is this?" Alexander's voice was neutral, not giving away anything. But I had known earlier when our eyes locked at breakfast that he knew who I was. There was no way that his wolf would have stayed quiet about it. Papa took a step forward, his hand resting on my shoulder. "This, my king, is my daughter, Kathy. Kathy, sweetheart, this is King Alexander Tate."

I bowed stiffly, not wanting to embarrass my father. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Kathy." The way he spoke my name had me fighting my wolf to remain still as if he had no effect on me. "And it's a pleasure to meet you as well, my king." The words felt strange on my lips, but I ignored that. Turning back to my father, I spoke softly. "I have to go to the clinic Papa, but I'm so glad that you came."

We hugged again before I made my escape. As I rushed towards the trees, I could feel all three of them watching my retreating figure. With the increasing distance between Alexander and me, my heart beat harder. Was I never to have a peaceful life?