Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Hope tried to make herself as presentable as she could under the circumstances but she had been traveling for two and a half weeks. At the last town she'd checked into a hotel so that she could take a hot bath and change her clothes but that had been yesterday afternoon. Nervously, she ran her hands over her hair patting her curls and straightening her hat one last time as the train whistle blew and the wheels came to a squealing halt. Steam billowed momentarily blocking the view of her new home town.

The door opened as the passengers stood and began to disembark. Hope stayed in her seat looking out her window at the people waiting on the covered platform. She saw several lone men waiting. A couple of them looked a little unsavory giving her pause. What would she do if she couldn't bring herself to marry Mr. Matthews? Well, she couldn't go back home that's for sure. She had a little money and she could sell her jewelry to tide her over until she could find a job. Sending a small prayer to the Good Man above, she stood up and began to exit the train.

This was the third day he'd come to meet the train, hopefully today would be the day. White clouds of steam billowed as the train pulled to a stop in front of the platform. Levi stepped back allowing the passengers to disembark. Nervously he took his hat off and ran his fingers through his shaggy sandy blonde hair, replaced his hat then ran his hands down his thighs. It looked like all the passengers were off, sighing with disappointment and frustration he was turning to leave when a movement caught his eye.  

Stepping up to the train door was the most beautiful woman he'd ever laid eyes on. She was wearing a lavender outfit with puffed sleeves to the elbow then fitted from the elbow to the wrist. A lavender hat sat at a jaunty angle on top of her ebony hair with soft silky curls framing her face. She definitely didn't look like she belonged in a small western town, she was dressed far nicer than any other woman around. His breath caught as he saw her glance around as if she were looking for someone.

Hope stood on the bottom step holding on to the railing off the train car and looked around. Most of the people were already gone leaving the platform virtually empty. A lone man standing at the edge of the platform caught her attention and stole her breath. He was very handsome and looked like the quintessential western male. He was wearing a brown cowboy hat, cream colored shirt with a chocolate colored fitted leather vest and very form fitting denims.

Scanning the area again, her heart fell as she decided that Mr. Matthews wasn't here and possibly wasn't coming for her. It was even possible that he hadn't even gotten her letter. She'd wait a few more minutes then see about finding a room for the night. Lifting her skirts with one hand she stepped down onto the wooden platform but before she could take a step the handsome man she'd seen just a moment ago approached her.

"Excuse me, Ma'am but would you by any chance be Hope Saunders?" Levi asked. He wasn't sure why, there was no way this beautiful woman was the same person that answered his ad. This woman could have any man she chose. Up close he noticed that her eyes matched her lavender outfit and her skin looked like flawless porcelain. She was stunning.

"Yes, I am. Would you by any chance be Mr. Levi Matthews?" There was no way this handsome man with those broad shoulders could be Levi Matthews. He must work for Mr. Matthews and was just picking her up. And oh my goodness, look at those slate blue eyes.

Relief flooded through him as he looked at her. This was going to be his wife? She was the complete opposite in looks from Alicia and for some reason that pleased him. Hopefully her personality would be at the far end of the spectrum from Alicia too. Taking off his hat with his left hand he extended his right hand to her. "I would be Levi Matthews." He said with a smile displaying even white teeth.