20. cooperation

"And... I got it!" Tony exclaimed, doing a little victory dance as the power came back on. Bucky stopped himself from rolling his eyes and shot another HYDRA agent instead.

"Hold on, gotta get J.A.R.V.I.S. back as well..." Tony said to no one in particular.

"Hurry up Stark," Clint muttered, "these guys won't stop coming."

They were in the generator room, trying to restart the power for over an hour. Bucky thought it would be easier, considering Tony was a genius and all, and the generator was his creation, but apparently HYDRA messed it up so badly that Tony had to restart the system from scratch. Nevertheless, Bucky and Clint were stuck on guard duty, and he was not happy.

His mind kept on wandering back to Anastasia. She was out there, all alone with only a gun and a pocket knife. Who knew what was going on right now, and Bucky was stuck with Tony and Clint.

Then something occurred. The HYDRA agents froze and ducked for cover, talking amongst themselves. Bucky frowned, not liking the course of this battle. He was about to take action, but before he did the HYDRA agents sprung back into action.

Except this time, they were running the other way.

"What the..." Clint muttered, astonished by the turn of events. HYDRA was not one to give up so easily.

"Stark!" Bucky called out.

"I got it!" Tony yelled back.

After a moment of silence, a familiar British voice said, "good afternoon sir."

"He's back!" Tony exclaimed happily, "I know, you're welcome." he said smugly to Bucky and Clint, who just looked at each other with an exasperated expression.

"J.A.R.V.I.S., activate the security system, and find out where those guys are going." Tony commanded, waving a hand carelessly. Bucky slumped down against the wall and began reloading his gun. He had to be prepared for anything. He debated whether to go and check on Anastasia, but he knew leaving his post may cause severe consequences.

After a minute, the A.I. finally spoke up. "Sir... they're retreating."

Bucky thought the news would cheer him up, make him feel relieved, but it only caused him to be even more concerned. Why were they leaving? Why now? He knew that they must've completed their mission, but if their mission wasn't him, then what was their mission?

"I sense a 'but'." said Clint, also clearly as concerned as Bucky.

"They've taken Doctor Volkov." J.A.R.V.I.S. responded, his robotic voice sounding grim.

Those four words were enough to cause Bucky's heart to sink in his chest. He immediately began to tremble as his heart beat faster and faster.

At first, he didn't know what to feel. He hadn't fully processed the information yet, he just stood there, as if frozen in time, staring with wide eyes.

"What?!" Clint yelled furiously.

Then realisation sunk in.

They took her.

They took his Anastasia.

Tears began to well up in his eyes and his breaths turned into rapid pants. She was gone. Anastasia was gone. She was in the hands of HYDRA, HYDRA. She'll never survive, they'll kill her. They may even turn her against him, against all of them. They may use her, torture her, tear her apart physically and mentally until nothing was left but an empty shell. Bucky didn't know if that, or death, was worse. He didn't know. He didn't want to wait to find out.