160

"what a lovely boy," phil's mum comments for the seventh time that afternoon, ruffling dan's curly hair softly and dan just blushes again, smiling slightly at her affection.

"incase you forgot, i am your son," phil remarks sarcastically, enjoying the way dan's lips curve up slightly and his cheeks flush pink. his mother had showered dan in compliments, pinching his cheek or ruffling his hair occasionally, and phil wasn't complaining because who wouldn't want to do that to him?

"i know sweetheart, i'm just really happy you brought over a friend after a long time," she smiles warmly at him, and phil returns her smile, looking over at the younger boy. his smile has dropped, and he is mindlessly staring at his lap, lip caught between his teeth.

dan's heart sinks at the word.

friend.

he hates the fact that phil's parents don't know about them when dan's relation with his parents is almost non-existent now because of them being together. he does not blame phil, he is just insecure right now and phil telling his parents would be some kind of reassurance that phil has long term plans with him and will not just chuck their relationship whenever he wanted.

"you guys look tired," phil's mum's high pitched voice interrupts his thoughts and he looks up at her, avoiding phil's gaze that is lingering on him.

"would you like some tea, daniel? phil can take you to his room and you can get changed till then alright?" she smiles, crinkles appearing beside her eyes as she pushes her glasses up her nose, and dan softly nods at her, getting up and following phil, who yet again, has both of their bags on his broad shoulders.

phil leads him up a worn carpeted staircase, to a small set of rooms upstairs. there are three doors, and phil walks towards the one which has a bunch of peeling stickers stuck on the front, faded sharpie marks staining the wood. he pushes the creaky door open, and they are welcomed by a neatly made bed with a blue and green duvet, some stuffed toys littered on the dresser, a huge bookshelf in the corner of the room and a decently sized tv, with a few stacks of video games and movie cd's.

dan feels warm in his room, even though he has never been here and he can't help but smile at the pictures of a younger phil, framed and hung on the walls. there are a few with another boy who looks older than phil, probably his brother and dan runs a hand through his fringe, examining the room.

dan is distracted when phil drops the bags on the polished floor, and dan looks over to him, noticing the way phil's bright eyes rake across his old room, a small smile forming on his face. he can see the nostalgia in phil's expression and he sighs out loud diverting his gaze away from the blue eyed boy, bending over to take out a clean shirt from his bag, to replace the warm one he was wearing.

"should i change here?" dan's voice is timid as it interrupts phil, and he looks at dan, nodding slightly. dan just sighs, gripping the hem of his sweatshirt and pulling it over his head hesitantly, even though he does not want to change in front of phil. he quickly pulls the fresh shirt on, running a hand through his tangled hair after completing the task.

his eyes skim across the room before it lands on the few wires sprawled across the dressing table, connecting to hair straighteners and he twists his hair between his fingers before looking over at phil.

"can i use those?" dan asks reluctantly and phil follows his gaze towards the hair straighteners, his eyebrows drawing together at the sight.

"why? i mean, i like your hair this way," and before they can say anything else, phil's mum interrupts them, knocking on the door once before walking in with two cups of tea.

--
you still like this book right? i mean the previous chapters were a little shit according to me and i apologise for that, sorry i'm just really paranoid today