Stalking

Draco

"Why would I give you Caleb's address?" Coinneach snorted, "I don't need you running around murdering my friends."

I'd figured if anyone knew where Caleb was currently living, it would be Co. It might not always seem like it, but the two of them were pretty close, despite of a few fall-outs through the years caused by some girl they both fancied, they stayed friends, even after ending their studies at Hogwarts.

"You know what he did to me, I need to know where he lives!" I insisted, clenching my fists, trying hard not to punch my old friend in the face.

"Are you really still mad about him kissing your girlfriend?" Co rolled his eyes. I realized he hadn't heard the news. He wasn't at the wedding and I was pretty sure I woke him up when I apparated into his living room, even though it was 2:30 in the afternoon.

"You don't know, do you?" I asked slowly.

"Know what?" He yawned as he stretched his arms above his head, making the joints in his upper back and shoulders crack loudly.

"Hermione left me at the altar, and Caleb brought her home with him." I spoke, trying hard to remain calm. "I'm worried about her. I don't trust Caleb. I believe he did something to make her leave. She wouldn't do that out of her own free will. Please help me Co. I need to see her." I begged.

"Are you sure she didn't just change her mind? What if she doesn't want to see you?"

"I just need to see that she's okay. I need to hear her tell me she doesn't want to see me. I don't believe she'd leave me with a fucking note."

Finally Coinneach cracked and told me the address, but only after making me promise I wouldn't go on a killing spree. In a second I had apparated to an empty back alley close to Green's street. I easily found the house and then stood for a while on the doorsteps, willing myself to ring the doorbell. But for some reason i couldn't do it. I pulled the note from Hermione out of my pocket.

I love you. Don't think I don't love you. I just need a break from everything.

Don't worry about me, I'm with a friend. But don't look for me either. I need space. Please don't look for me.

Looking at the doorbell, I decided against ringing it. If she needed space, I'd give it to her. She told me not to look for her. I failed, I couldn't just let her go without knowing where she was. But now I knew. Harry and Ginny were looking out for her too. She would be safe. If Green ever did anything to harm her in any way, Ginny would without doubt hex him good. I trusted they would keep her safe, even if she was with Green.

I really didn't want to leave, but somehow I knew it was for the best. I knew where Hermione stayed now, and I could always return. I didn't want to interfere with whatever was going on in her head, but that didn't mean I couldn't drink a cup of coffee in the coffeeshop on the corner of the street, where I would have a full view of the apartment building. I knew, of course, that they could easily apparate in and out of the apartment, and I wouldn't ever see her. But for some reason Caleb Green was living in a muggle neighborhood, and if they wanted food, they couldn't just magically appear in a store. They would have to come out at some point, and I would sit in that coffeeshop until they did.

***

"Hello darling, the usual I presume?" The elderly lady, I'd learned owned the coffeeshop asked when she saw me. Her name was Carol, she'd told me after a week of me sitting in the shop from it opened to it closed. She used to run it with her husband and daughter. But her husband had passed away a few years back, and her daughter had gotten married twenty years ago, and now worked in politics. Her grand-daughter sometimes came to help out, she was nineteen and was in college studying music, but she needed some extra cash. Her name was Amy. She was standing at the coffee machine, finishing an order for one of the other regulars. A business man who always wanted a latte, on soy milk, extra hot, and with hazelnut syrup. He nodded at me as a greeting as he got his coffee in a to go cup, and left through the doors.