Chapter 13: You're Worth The Pain

It felt like hours passed before Johnny showed any signs of returning. The two wolf shifters nervously paced the room while they waited. Wolves didn't like to feel caged for too long. The hunter just calmly sat next to me. I was no longer being held down. He was making sure I didn't make any sudden movements to run for it.

My ears perked up when I heard footsteps approach the building. They were Johnny's heavy footfalls and two other men.

The heavy door swung open and slammed against the wall. Johnny entered first with the two men behind him. I couldn't see who they were. Johnny was blocking my view.

He had a satisfied smirk plastered on his face. He came to a stop in front of me and crossed his muscular arms across his broad chest. He watched in delight when my eyes flickered to his belt where his two bowie knives dangled in the loops.

"Have you thought anymore about renouncing your mate?"

"It's not going to happen."

"That's really too bad, Arianna," a familiar male voice spoke out. My heart nearly stopped beating the moment I heard him. I knew his voice like the back of my hand.

"Tristan," I whispered.

He stepped out from Johnny's left side and knelt down next to me. His black hair was wet like he had just come out of the shower. His cold blue eyes locked with mine.

After Dante and I mated, I had given a little thought to what it would be like when I saw Tristan again, if we would still have the bond. I had asked myself if he would still feel like my mate.

Tristan slowly reached out his hand. His hand shook as he gently stroked my pale, tear stained cheek. The heat from his touch immediately warmed me up from the cold chill the concrete floor gave me.

I mentally cursed myself for pressing my face further into his touch. I caught myself before I closed my eyes and lost myself in him. This wasn't right. Dante and I were fully mated. I shouldn't be feeling this way. I had to fight it. I wouldn't get hooked into his games again.

I needed to remember that Tristan was here with the hunters. I closed my eyes and imagined Dante's touch on my face. It calmed my racing heart and pushed Tristan out of my mind.

"Arianna," Tristan whispered into my ear.

His breath tickled my ear. I had a hard time suppressing the shiver that coursed through my body from his close proximity.

I opened my eyes.

"Get away from me, you traitor," I bitterly spat.

He needed to let my face go and back away. I couldn't be feeling any of this for him. The sooner he stepped back, the better I would feel.

I narrowed my eyes at the amused look on his face when I swatted his hand from my face.

"Everyone out," he ordered in his Alpha tone.

The two wolves didn't waste any time in running out of the building. Johnny reluctantly took the other two hunters with him. He angrily shut the door behind him. I could tell he was hoping to get another crack at me.

We were all alone now. I didn't know if I was more scared to be alone with him or thankful that Johnny and his knives were no longer near me.

He nuzzled his face into my neck and took a deep breath in.

"I can't believe this. God, his stench is all over you," he spat out angrily.

"That's the way it's supposed to be between mates."