Chapter 30

Are we having fun yet

I repeated over and over in my head, my fingers tapping over the armrest of Keri's couch.

"I still don't see how this connects with us," I told Callum and the Council again; all eight members were present.

"Who else could the message be for?" Anthony asked.

"Us." Callum grunted.

"No offense, boss, but I doubt the Woodville police department is someone they'd consider a playmate, let alone a challenge," Kelly piped up. "I mean, the Sentinels have trouble finding the perp and they are the ones who are actually trained to do so."

"I second that," Sasha joined the conversation. "It's either aimed at us, Sentinels, or at the Silver Bullets and more likely, it's the latter."

"Why else would they hunt on the Bullets' grounds?" Adrian's question was obviously rhetorical.

I leaned back and covered my face with my hands, letting go of a troubled sigh. When I gazed back at the rest of the people in the living room, they looked the same way I felt: tired of this meeting and hopeless about us ever catching the criminal.

"I think we should call it a night," Keri suggested, getting up from her sofa. "We are all exhausted and..." She shook her head, her face twisting in an ugly grimace. "None of us has come up with any new strategy to catch the killer."

"Yes, you should rest." Callum also rose from his seat. "Kelly and I will head back to the station, see if the lab has anything for us but... It's probably too soon to get any results from them, even though this case is obviously a priority."

Keri snorted without mirth.

"Some job we are doing with this priority."

Her cousin, still in her police uniform, reached out to squeeze her hand.

"We are trying, Ker. All of us are."

"But people are still dying, Kelly." Our Alpha shook her head again. "Pointless, brutal deaths. And no matter what we do..."

She didn't need to finish her sentence: no matter what we did, we were nowhere closer to catching the murderer or at least figuring out who they were and what they wanted from us.

"Go home to your families," Keri ordered her Council. "Try to distract yourselves from the investigation until we learn something new."

All of us nodded and got up to leave.

"You sure you'll be alright?" Anthony asked his sister and she tried to smile.

"No, but I'll deal with it. Thanks." She patted him on the shoulder and nodded for those of us who were still in the room - her brother, Everett and me - to leave.

"Don't keep Riley and the Lisas waiting," she encouraged us.

With a nod of my own, I hurried towards the door, longing to hold my mate in my arms, to bury myself under the covers with him, breathing in his comforting scent. I was sure my two companions - both married to a Lisa - couldn't wait to go home and do the same with their wives.

Once outside Keri's home, my brother stopped abruptly and I almost bumped into his back.

"Where is he?" He asked, looking around. "Where's Alec?"

I groaned when I realized the boy had once again disappeared.

"Do you want me to help you search for him?" Anthony proposed, his inflection giving away how much he hoped we'd decline.