Chapter Sixteen

Top Commenter: myworldnbooks

Word Count: 1930

~Mara

Stumbling over my feet, I watch Alpha Grayson slowly begin to lose control in front of my very eyes. It's as if a demon has consumed his soul, while he tries his very best to fight it.

"I said run!"

And I do. Twisting around, I run at full speed in the opposite direction. Shifting would be like dangling myself on a stick for him to cease; my scent would follow me for miles.

So I run on my two sneakered feet as fast as my unfit legs will allow. Dodging between trees, I here the wildest growl rip through the night. Whatever Grayson has turned into, I don't want to witness it.

Panting, I pull my legs through the thick grass. Faintly, I hear the patter of paws across the ground, and I realise with a grim heart that Grayson is in hot pursuit

Pushing myself further, I try wager the odds of him ending my life. Obviously even he was scared of the monster he was about to turn into. These thoughts are like hands on my back, pushing me further.

But it doesn't take long for him to catch up.

I don't turn, scared of what I might be faced with. Instead I keep my eyes past the trees, praying I might make it there alive. His proximity is suddenly obvious as I feel his hot breath on my neck. I'm going to die. I'm going to die. There's no way I'm not going to die.

Then suddenly, it's as if he's gone. All noise stops, and his breath no longer dances dangerously across my neck. Glancing over my I see that he has truly disappeared. Slowing down, I try catch a breath.

And then I see, two massive wolves scrambling in a fight metres away from me. One large brown wolf, and a lighter, almost blonde wolf. The sight is terrifying, watching them tear at each other's skin.

In shock, I watch the black wolf get tossed into the air, slamming against the base of a tree. The sound of bones snapping makes me turn, vomiting into a nearby bush.

Or maybe it's because I'm unfit...

Wiping my mouth, I stumble to my feet again. And when I look up, both wolves are gone.

I back up slowly. If they aren't there, then where are they? Staring at the space where they once were, I begin to doubt it they truly existed in the first place.

The suddenly, out of the shadows emerges a naked figure. I back up slowly, assuming it's Grayson, but instead, I see a head a blonde hair. Their eyes glimmer green like the forest around them.

"Don't be afraid...He's gone," the strange man murmurs to me. Something about his voice makes me relax, allowing me to regain my breath again.

It's as if my eyes have naturally learnt to not look down at all these naked men. Instead, I stare into his eyes as he advances closer. Noticing cuts upon his face bleeding thick blood, I begin to worry, but I push away that for awhile.

"Was that you?" I question, referring to the blonde wolf that attacked Grayson. He nods solemnly.

"Indeed. I heard Grayson leave the house this afternoon, and went to investigate. When I saw him chasing you, I had to act," he says. I thank him profusely, for saving my life, trying not to get emotional about the fact that it had nearly ended.

He brushes it off modestly.

"You live with the Alpha?" I question. Again, he nods.

"He's my brother. Hence why I was able to disarm him enough for him to come back to his senses," the man says.