Attacked

edited november 2nd 2016

It was now night and the darkness fell faster than usual. I was exhausted and fell into my bed, pulling the covers over my shoulders. I was near falling asleep, but Patrick's uncontrollable coughing was going to keep me up. He was in a completely different cell block, and I could still hear it.

I walked to Cell Block D with some cough syrup and opened the frail sheet covering Patrick's cell.

"Hey, you don't sound too good." I smiled at him, with an obviously look. I covered the sheet over his cell back, and sat on his bed next to him.

"I don't feel too good either." he smiled, wiping sweat from his forehead with a wash cloth.

"Here." I poured some cough syrup onto the spoon and fed it to him. He took it, and we realized we were hip to hip as I sat next him on his bed. I looked away for a second, because I got nervous for some weird reason.

"Thank you." he smiled at me, as I took his glasses off his eyes. He had really big brown eyes, and didn't look anything like himself when he didn't have those huge specs on.

"Now, let the medicine do it's job, and you get some rest now." I told him as he pushed a strand of hair from my face. I turned to the side a bit, feeling some what awkward.. but not really awkward.

"Could you help me with my shirt? I never sleep with one on, and I feel a little too weak to take it off myself." he asked, with my eyes staring blankly at him.

I was nervous because I do like Patrick. I had since we started to talk the day after he got here. Even though he was a year, older than me. It wasn't the age difference or Carol that made me not want to work some courage up to ask him if he felt the same way. It wasn't something, it was someone.

I helped with Patrick's sweat soaked shirt and threw it in his dirty clothes basket, then I put a cloth that was drenched with water on his forehead. He smiled at me as he held the cloth to his forehead, and I smiled back.

"Thanks again, I really don't have anybody, any family. It feels nice to know you care." he smiled cheekily, and looked down at the ground then back up at me.

"You're family now, and I care about my family." I smiled back.

He planted his warm lips on my cheek, as I closed my eyes with acceptable pleasure from the kiss.

"Feel better, I'll see you in the morning." A smile grew on my lips, immediately after. I walked back to my cell and soaked my hands in hand sanitizer. Patrick was a cutie that I had a crush on, but I didn't have a crush on those germs.

I turned around to see Carl standing at my cell block doorway, making me jump a tad.

"Carl! You scared the crap out of me." I yelled in a hushed tone, careful not to wake the others that were in my cell block.

He was sweating beyond belief and he had a really terrified look on his face.

"Are you okay?" I pulled him over to me and felt his head. He had a cold sweat going on and I was confused.

"No." he seemed really out of breath.

"You're not warm, why are you sweating so much?" I asked him with concern in my voice.

"I had a bad dream." he cleared his throat and his fingers fidgeted with his pant leg.

"About what?" I asked taking a towel from under my sink, wiping down his face.

"I can't remember, but it was bad. I was scared and you were scared too. I killed somebody, and people were screaming and it was bad." he babbled excessively, and looked honestly like a mad person.