Chapter Nine: Triton's Tail

"That doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy talking to." Damari objected smoothly, dragging his feet in protest as Alena pulled him towards the hidden sound.

"Oh stop being such a baby." she barked at him. "You'd think I was forcing a toddler along with me to the Underworld with the way you're acting."

Her words shut his mouth immediately. She knew now that he hated being called childish, and that was her best bet of keeping his mouth shut.

The roars quieted down as they moved closer to the side of a canyon, but a strange set of vibrations began to unsettle the ground beneath Damari's feet, scaring him slightly as he stuck closer to Alena.

Sparks of awareness danced across her skin as he gripped onto her wrist. "Where are we going?" he whispered harshly.

The vibrations became harder and closer. "We are entering the lands of Poseidon's folk, I've never dared to swim in these waters before."

Damari flinched when the vibrations rumbled through his body so violently that he could feel his teeth chatter. "Why is that?"

Alena looked back at him behind her shoulder, his blonde curls floating around his head like a halo. "Sirens are forbidden to leave the waters they were assigned to, mine was the Cape Pelorum along with waters near your port, but now I've left," She took a deep breath, "and entered into one governed by Poseidon himself."

Damari swam past her, his legs kicking furiously as he moved closer to the vibrations, his voice trembling even as he spoke. "Well I guess that means we face whatever mythological creature that is coming after you, yes?"

She nodded slowly, nudging ahead of him with one thrust of her powerful tail. "Surprised you're actually willing to believe that, seeing as how you think I'm something that shouldn't exist."

He grabbed the tip of her tail to jerk her back to face him. "I didn't mean it that way."

"Obviously you did or you wouldn't have said anything, and don't touch my tail!"

He hit the side of her tail again for good measure. "Too late, already did, now what's wrong with that? Afraid I'm going to violate you?"

Alena smacked him over the arm, away from her tail and any other part of her body. "Why you little--"

They both began bickering loudly, hitting and slapping each other in order to annoy the other out of their senses.

But as they were fighting so viciously, bubbles exploding from their movements, they failed to see the flash of light that dipped into the opposite side of the canyon that stood between them and the dark open sea.

"I can't believe I told your mother that I would--" Alena started, before looking over Damari's shoulder and gasping at the sight that stood a few feet away from her.

No words could describe the fear and beauty that displayed itself within the regal line of the royal guards hippocampus'.

The hippocampus was a grand creature, both loved and feared by the people of Poseidon as well as other creatures that roamed the deep, being part horse and part fish, their large bodies heaved from the silent way they swam towards their targets.

Alena had only heard stories of the great beasts that stood before her. Their scales reflecting a light of many colors, their bodies three times bigger than she, and the fire that hid in their crystal blue eyes showing off the tempers they must have had when coming upon intruders.

"And you're the intruder." she muttered to herself, wishing she could slide back to her waters and forget the entire misunderstanding had occurred.