Chapter 48

Chapter 48

By morning, Miren and Jeno weren't any closer to a decision.

And although she questioned the need for his blessing (after all, Wallace did control the server the voice recorder was on, and she had his blessing in spades), she still respected that they were a team.

However, her respect was fleeting. When orchestra ended, all she wanted to do was punch Jeno in the face. All this mental turmoil caused her to mess up her viola solo. As her humiliation died down, she angrily packed up her stuff, which made it take longer than usual. Especially when she dropped her bow. She cursed.

"We should talk," she heard Jeno say as he handed her the musical tool. His expression was expressionless, so naturally she felt no eagerness "to talk". She didn't want to hear what he had to say unless it was what she wanted to hear. She wasn't a smug person—but she was right. He was wrong. It was that simple.

"That depends," she finally said after a while, starting for the door. "Will it be on your terms or mine?" The bell to lunch rang over five minutes ago, but due to the culinary phenomenon that was Taco Tuesday, no other students were in the hallway.

"Don't tell me you're suddenly as petty as Penelope," Jeno said, securing his backpack over his shoulder. His eyes were calm, but still intense, like a dying fire. "My response hasn't changed. But if you're who I think you are, yours has."

"No one knows who I am anymore, not even myself," she replied, mirroring his expression as she turned to him. "But you're making a bigger deal out of this than necessary. I don't need your permission." She shook her head. "But I do need my sanity. I don't know how much more of this I can take. I never want to be put in that position at the dance again."

"And I'm very sorry for putting you in it," he assured her. His eyes scanned the empty hallway as he lowered his voice to a concerned whisper. "But think of all the information we gained that night. The plan is still in progress, and we can't do anything to compromise it. Not yet."

"You mean we can't do anything to compromise your girlfriend, right?" Miren narrowed her eyes as Jeno sighed.

"Theodora did something really foolish, but I thought you of all people would realize how important redemption is. How will outing her really help anything? Penelope will still be at large."

"Then maybe we need to accept that she'll always 'be at large' so I can at least pretend to have a life." She shook her head. "You're going to be graduating in a few months and we've gotten virtually nowhere. I don't want to keep planning or scheming. I don't want to hide anymore."

"I know. I'm tired of watching you struggle through this too." Jeno sighed as he stepped toward her. They were probably standing too close for friends, let alone "male" friends, but it was hard to care with all the tension between them. "Don't you know how much I want to woo you and show you off to all of my friends?"

"What friends?" She allowed herself to smirk a little, but she hated herself for lightening up. This was a serious issue. And if he wanted her so bad, then why was he being so resistant? She knew he was a sensible, suspicious person—so was she—but that didn't mean he was right. Her faint grin faded almost as quick as it came. "And you're not acting like it."

"That's because I'm not selfish."

"So you're saying I am?"

They went back and forth like this for a while like an old married couple, until frustration didn't begin to cover what Miren was feeling. She opened her mouth to say something she probably wouldn't be proud of when her phone vibrated. When she reached for her pocket, she noticed Jeno was reaching for his too.