The King's Ballad (Part 1)

Zytra — the land of the brave, a haven for adventurers far and wide. It promised riches and glory, offering plenty to those whom she deemed worthy.

Like many others seeking to mark their names in the land, a man had arrived many years ago with little more than twenty Syros (currency of Zytra). Fear of poverty did not deter this man, as his lust for battle far outweighed his flesh's desire for sustenance. This man's rage-fueled fierce desire to become the strongest being in the world thrust him neck-deep into the hairiest of situations, but he always found a way to beat the odds and emerge the victor.

Some would find it ironic that the happiest moments of this man's life all came in the midst of battle. From the elder dragons of Skrymdoor to the famous murderers of Zetana, he had seen them all, beat them all, and now there was no one left who he could challenge. Now and then, an adventurer would show up to challenge him. Sadly, none could match his strength, and the fights never lasted long enough for him to get any real pleasure.

Empty.

That was his sole emotion. He needed something more, something to ignite, once again, his thirst. Unfortunately, this was a wish the land of Zytra could grant no longer.

At the center of Zytra sat a massive dark forest called the 'The Forest of Dreiza,' home to all manner of demons. Patrons in taverns, kings in palaces, and Warriors in their strongholds all recognized this place as the most dangerous location in all of Zytra.

However, one hidden rule of Zytra was that wherever danger thrived, there was almost always considerable profit to be made. The Forest of Dreiza was no different. High-level mana beasts guarded impressive caches and treasures capable of transforming frogs into princes overnight.

Despite knowing the risk, men and women were driven to challenge the forest by greed, lofty ideals, dreams, and even love. They all believed they would be the one to return home with enough riches to completely change their lives. Unfortunately, The Forest of Dreiza was not so generous with its gifts. Only one in every ten people that entered the forest returned, their numbers adding to the horde of undead that forever haunted the land.

Located at the center of the abominable forest was a mountain that peaked past dark clouds that forever blocked Dreiza's sky. This hill was nicknamed 'Oni Hill' by adventurers because of the several demons that made it their home. It once housed the great Demon King, but he lost his life to the current occupant of the castle, a man feared in all the realms for his cruelty, the 'Harbinger of Chaos,' Razznik Y'Terlow.

Deep within Oni Hill, a magnificent throne constructed entirely from bones sat on a cold stage overlooking a dreary, bleak throne room. Floating balls of light, called 'magelights,' illuminated the room, revealing its occupants: two skeleton death knights, a skeleton arch-mage, and a red-haired young man who looked to be in his late twenties.

The three skeletons drew a stark contrast to the man, who stood in front of the wall behind the throne. One was over 2 meters tall and donned a full set of high-level bronze armor. The hilts and blades of two swords as tall as he was poked out from behind a tattered cape. The second death knight looked to be a hybrid between beast and man. Its four arms were crossed on its chest, its 4-meter-long tail curled around it. The second death knight had a skinny build, and rather than armor, its bones formed a hard, impenetrable shell. The skeleton arch-mage wore a standard Mage's robe and held a large staff which used a human skull as its focusing orb.

Silence reigned in the throne room as the skeletons watched the man dip a brush into one of many small pots rotating around him. Satisfied with the color, he proceeded to update the painting on the wall.

"I always thought Lord Razznik hated paintings," the second death knight, Sephyr the Swift, murmured, breaking the silence. It had a shrill voice that slightly echoed its words.