Chapter Ten

No song for this chapter. Not for a scene like this.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                              Danny

The thing about hanging out with Daniel, it was hard to stay serious. We were back to laughing about things like we normally did. We were already in the parking lot talking about random things.

It was quiet.

“Damn we’re later than I would have hoped,” Daniel now regretted his choice. “We missed something real interesting.”

He was pointing out with his foot at skid marks in the parking lot. 

“It looks like a party,” Daniel made a random comment.

I looked at the schoolyard where there were papers and books scattered across the yard. I froze.

“Danny what-”

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

If the blood in my veins could have frozen up, they would have. My joints were locked in place and Daniel mirrored just the same.

BOOM!

We both hit the ground at the same time.

“Call the police,” I told Daniel calmly as possible.

Just when I said that a kid I didn’t know was running out from the school building panting his eyes and arms looking wild. 

BAM!

His head…

I heard Daniel shaking from terror as he fumbled to get his phone out of his pocket. I only stared a head at the building to see if we had been seen. Nothing seemed to move or come out. We were safer out here.

For now.

Daniel was taking an awful long time to dial now and I didn’t rush him. I was having trouble keeping my own wits about. When I heard him speak his words shook around. At this moment with what I was feeling, he was doing better than me.

I didn’t listen to what he said, I just kept down on the ground.

Jake might be in there.

“Danny!” Daniel hissed suddenly ten feet behind me and counting. I didn’t get on the football team for nothing.

This wasn’t about being a hero. This was just something I did naturally here and now. 

I was in the school building that had never been this silent before. Papers, schoolbooks, and lockers that were left open. Everything that everyone was doing when this started must have been dropped. I didn’t see any other bodies yet.

My heart pounded hard with adrenaline coursing through it. I heard a click and I scattered like a rabbit against a classroom door that was closed. I willed my breathing to slow down to avoid making anymore noise.

Boom!

It sounded a bit further off, muffled.

BANG!

The walls vibrated with the sound.

There was more than one shooter.

Sobbing then a scream of a girl.

BANG!

I could swear I saw the flash of the shot which meant this was very close.

My idiot of a best friend joined me suddenly. He elbowed me in the arm which kind of hurt. I wanted to sigh, make a frustrated gesture at him, or shake him. Instead I rolled my eyes at him.I could hardly tell him he was wrong.