Chapter Six: Hitch Hikers

Screaming. It surrounded me and drowned out all other noise. My blood went cold and my body became paralyzed. It was a girl's scream. A sickened feeling filled my soul.Then I heard what I dreaded the most.

"Please! I promise I don't know! I don't know where she is!" Cassidy cried the words and screamed in agony. From a cause I couldn't see. A light appeared up ahead gradually growing bigger and bigger. It was in that dim light that I stopped breathing.

Evangeline stood over Cassidy, who was cuffed to a chair with iron restraints. Her clothes soaked crimson and her skin stained red with her own blood. A table was next to the angel. Shining objects reflecting the light like a disco ball of hell. Objects that I knew all to well. Cass was sobbing, her tears leaving paths on her dirty bruised face.

"CASS!" I screamed and went to run forward. As I did an invisible wall slammed into me. Stopping me from running any farther. I pounded and beat on the barrier but watched in horror as Evangeline raised a blade and-

I snapped awake, slamming my head backwards into the wall. My hair was plastered to my face with sweat. Even though my body felt suffocating hot I was freezing cold. I looked up terrified to find what I might see, but Cass was still asleep, safe and sound. A huge wave of relief washed over me. My butt was sore from sitting on the ground and my legs were screaming with cramps. I looked over at the alarm clock on the nightstand. 6:30 am it glowed dimly. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. That's the latest I've slept in since I did a universe swap.

I got up off the floor to stretch my legs. I looked at Cassidy and smiled. She was safe that was all that mattered. I went over to the backpack and grabbed the can of salt. Laying more salt to the already thick line at the door and windows. After that I got into the shower.

The hot water was like heaven. My hair would have thanked me if it could have. Never before had I ever been so grateful for motel shampoo and conditioners. If only I had a damn razor...

After I got out of the shower I looked in the mirror, my wet hair hanging down around my face. As I looked at my reflection and a smile started to creep across my face. I was smiling! Truly smiling! God and it felt so good! A knock suddenly came at the door making me jump.

"Rachel? You okay?" It was only Cass. I began to laugh embarrassed at myself

"I'm fine Cass. Just...just enjoying having clean hair," I told her honestly. Cassidy began to laugh outside the bathroom door. When she finally composed herself outside she asked what the plan was.

"So? How are we going to get to South Dakota?" I opened the bathroom door, pulling the rest of my hair into a braid. Cassidy looked at me seriously,"Do we have to steal another car...? Because I don't think that we should...it's just...it's just wrong..." she looked down at her feet embarrassed.

I looked at Cassidy and couldn't help but grin. "Well then. That is a problem." Cassidy didn't look up at me. "How about we take a bus? I'm sure we can find one to Sioux Falls." 

Cassidy looked up excitedly,"Really?!" I nodded with a grin.

"But here is the problem," I began "We are going to have to hitch hike to a bigger town so that we can get bus tickets."

"We have to hitch hike? Are you kidding me! Do you know how totally unsafe that is? Stealing a car at least won't get you raped and murdered!" Cassidy flipped out on me. Her eyes were wide and panic made her body stiff as a board. She grabbed my shoulders and shook me dramatically. Her ranting growing louder with each word.

"Cassidy!" I grabbed her hands, "Relax! I have thought this through! Plus anyone or thing that tries to hurt you or me will be in worse condition than we will be." Cass scrunched her face up at me.