Chapter Two

2

"Hey," I said shyly with my head low. I couldn't look at him right now. It was too awkward. If I gazed into his eyes longer for two seconds, I would surely blurt out my 'sexual dreams starring Levi Alvaro' secret.

Levi walked over to me and slithered his arms around my waist. Instantly, a felt a burning sensation from his touch. I didn't know how much longer I would be able to take his fondling hand near my hip.

It made me feel so uncomfortable that I stepped outward quickly, creating some space between us.

He proved to be completely oblivious of my rejecting gesture as his arm fell carelessly over my shoulder. I sighed tiredly as he started to lead me down the hall towards my first period. It was useless trying to avoid Levi. After all of these years of our friendship, I knew that much. He usually could tell when things were wrong and he would force it out of me. Afterwards, there would be a great weight lifted off of my chest because he'd always help me solve my problems, but not this time. This was different. Imagining him 'letting me down easily' nearly shattered my heart into a million pieces. I didn't want his sympathy, nor did I want to ruin our friendship.

"I like how you fell asleep on me last night," Levi said sarcastically. His words snapping me out of my personal thoughts as I remembered what he'd texted me last night.

I love you.

I knew he didn't mean it romantically, so I tried to just shake off any crazy thoughts I had in my head.

"Oh well. I was sleepy," I replied dryly.

"Oh! That hurt," he said dramatically and used his free hand to clutch at his heart. I just laughed at his playfulness.

We continued down the hall, in the direction of my first period.

"You know you're most likely going to be late for your own class right? Isn't it upstairs?" I asked even though I already knew the answer. I knew his entire schedule and he knew mine. We spent so much time together around school that it was almost instinctive to know the basics.

"Yeah you're right. But I don't care. What's more important than quality time with my best friend?" He said and I looked away to hide my blush.

We stopped in front of my classroom. From an outsider looking in, it would look like I was waiting for a kiss from my boyfriend to start off my day just right. Only, that fictitious hypothesis was furthest from the truth.

"Hug," he demanded, but I didn't feel bossed around at all. I was happy to hug him, but at the same time I was nervous.

Before I could think any further, Levi slid both arms around my waist and pulled me in almost dangerously close. My breathing hitched and I didn't know how long I could keep this up, the pretending that is.

"Bye," I said as I walked into the room.

"I'll see you after class , " he replied huskily and that alone tempted me.

I took my seat in the front of the classroom near THE smartest boy in our graduating class,  Malachi, and a really pretty gothic girl, Nina, with a couple piercings across her face. Malachi and I were the two students with the highest GPA's in our class, essentially wrestling for the valedictorian spot at graduation. We have sort of been arched nemesis's since Kindergarten. All I know is, I will be giving that speech come June.

I absolutely hated this class, but I was determined to maintain my perfect grade point average. Yale was my dream school and I wouldn't let it slip through my fingers.

"Hey Kylie?" I heard a voice call.

I turned to face Dominique who sat right behind to me. She was incredibly pretty. She was a brown, caramel color with curls that perfectly framed her face. "Yeah?" I replied.

"If Aiden were to ask you out, would you say yes?" She asked.

"Your ... brother ? Aiden?" I asked and she stared at me. "Like on a date?" I tried not to ask in shock.

She answered my question with a simple, "mhmm."

"Uhhhhhh..." I trailed off. Aiden McGee? He was the captain on the Varsity basketball team and a complete lady killer. He was also Dominique's twin brother. Why was she asking me this? Did Aiden really like me? Or was I being punked? He could literally get any girl he wanted and we barely talked? I couldn't believe it, but I became anxious all the same.

"She wouldn't say yes," the boy next to Dominique, Pauly, answered knowingly.

"Why do you say that?" Dominique asked him.

"Because she's waiting for Levi."

My face became pale in a matter of seconds. Here we go again. Another person thinking that I liked Levi. It was so irritating. Nearly the entire school thought this and I couldn't understand why it mattered to them. They should just mind their own business! I wasn't peeking into their personal relationships, what gave them the right to pry into mine?

"I'm not waiting for him. He's my BEST FRIEND," I expressed and every student in the class snapped their heads toward me.

"Ms. Santiago," I heard Mr. Spears call. "Would you mind coming up here and teaching the class the lesson since you obviously already know everything this course has to offer."

I rolled my eyes and stood up.
"First of all... You're teaching seventh grade math in an ADVANCED twelfth grade math class. So yes, I do know everything this course has to offer." I hated this teacher especially. He was always so pestering towards me, though I had average of one hundred. I could fall asleep in his class for the rest of the semester and STILL pass with flying colors. Not trying to be cocky or anything but the facts were the facts.

I walked up to the interactive board.
"May I?" I stuck my hand out and waited for Mr. Spears to hand me the pen. He looked at me with pure despise as I looked at him as innocently as I could. He didn't expect me to back down now did he? I didn't usually go out of my way to embarrass teachers in front of their own classes, but Mr. Spears was an exception. He was a complete dick head who was asking for it.

"The process is quite simple, all you do is..."

**10 minutes later**

"See?" I asked and smiled.

Everyone nodded their heads and smiled. Throughout my teaching, I heard many "oohhh's" and "it's that simple?"

I handed the teacher back his pen and headed over to my seat. My job was complete. Mr. Spears could go kick rocks.

Before long, the bell rung and we were dismissed. Thank god! I couldn't get out that class quick enough.

I stepped out into the hall and was automatically met by Aiden. His curly hair, his caramel skin... He was a carbon copy of Dominique.

"Aiden... Hey," I said awkwardly .

"Hey Kylie," he said with a charming smile. I smiled back and the tension slowly fell.

"What's up?" I asked and clutched onto my books for dear life. So was the unaudited rumor true? Did he want to go out with me?

"I was wondering if you'd want to go out sometime... With me," he said with a charming tone to match his brilliant smile.

Just then, Levi walked up and I all of a sudden felt like I'd been caught red handed. I don't know why but I felt guilty? Or something of that sort.

"Uhhh. Maybe... Can I get back to you?" I blurted out quickly before leaving without his reply. Either way, it didn't matter to me.