Chapter Eleven: Rebellion

~ We can run down the street with the stars in our eyes ~

Chapter Eleven: Rebellion

When I woke the next morning, Max was gone, a note on his still warm pillow:

'I can't tell you how much of a pleasure it was to wake up beside you, Symphony... It truly was. But I forgot I had a couple of things that have to get done before a certain time, so I have to get going before you wake up. Sorry, baby. I'll see you soon though :-)

Bye for now, sweet little dove.

- Max'

The note had me grinning.

So for the next month, whenever a storm would roll in, that's what would happen; whether Lucas was over or not, Max would somehow find himself at my apartment, in my bed those nights, holding me through the darkness and keeping me close against his chest. I slept like a rock each time, his arm around my waist and my head laying over his heart, my hair spread out around us both. Some days I'd wake up and he'd be gone to set or gone to do things that had to get done, but most days I woke up and he was still there and holding me, and we'd make breakfast together, sometimes even hanging around for a while before he left. One of my favorite things to do when I finally woke up in his grip was to just lay in bed and watch him, or lounge around and talk for hours before we even got out of bed. I loved it, every bit of it, just watching Max talk to me and hold me closely.

"So..." he sighed one morning about a month and a half later. "I have a little bit of unhappy news, baby..."

I frowned. "Oh?"

Max nodded. "And I'm actually really sorry I haven't brought it up until now... I just really love spending time with you and I didn't wanna ruin it with bad news."

I nodded, and he sighed again. "I'm heading back to LA for five or six days next week."

I slowly frowned. "Oh..." I spoke. "So I guess that means you won't be around much next week."

Max chuckled a little, nodding. "Unfortunately," he said, running his hand along my hair. "If it's alright with you though, I'd like to be able to Skype you while I'm gone, and of course I'll call you and text you every day."

I smiled. "Alright," I told him, curling into his chest. "You know, it occurred to me last night, we've been going out for three months next week."

Max grinned and nodded. "I know," he laughed. "Oh, hey," he spoke. "How're Lucas and that one girl doing? Sophie, right?"

I nodded. "They're doing alright," I answered. "I mean, Lucas seems to really like her, which is new for him. They've only been on a couple of dates though, and he wants to make sure his feelings stick before he jumps into a relationship."

Max nodded. "I can respect that," he said, approvingly. "You think they'll last?"

I thought for a moment, sighing dramatically and resting my chin on his chest, making him chuckle lightly as he kissed my forehead. "Probably," I said. "Lucas actually wanted to see how we felt about a double date, so Sophie can get to know me better."

Max nodded. "Sounds great," he smiled. "I'll use any excuse I can to take you out."

I grinned, resting my face in his neck. "What day are you leaving next week?"

Max began rubbing my back through my t-shirt. "Monday," he said, watching as I mentally noted today was Friday. "Why don't we see if Lucas and Sophie wanna go out tomorrow night? We can like, go bowling or something like that."

I laughed. "I'll call him in a minute," I responded, waving away his comment. "I just wanna lay here with you for right now."

Max chuckled, kissing my forehead. "Can't argue with that," he smiled. I closed my eyes and we laid in silence for a few minutes, Max's fingers still slowly running up and down my back, relaxing my body as he sweetly hummed in my ear. "I love laying here with you."