Chapter 6

I'm so sorry for the long wait! I started my summer job full time and spend most of my time at home sleeping. Here's then next chapter and we'll see how Judith reacts to Lavinia's gift from Caleb...

-----

When Colin finally dropped Lavinia off at home in time for luncheon, she felt rather relieved. It had been an awkward morning after he had given her the rose and she had noticed many of the ton watching them from their benches in the centre of the park whispering behind their fans. Colin had seemed undeterred, however it had made Lavinia uncomfortable. She had set the rose in a small glass vase filled with water on her dresser, a souvenir of her first season outing.

Luncheon was a quiet affair with Charles visiting with Caleb and her Aunt preoccupied with helping her friend, Mrs Jones, organise a ball for two days time. She ate alone relatively quickly before heading out once more for shopping with Judith. When she arrived at Judith's house, she immediately related her view on what had happened that morning.

"It had started off so nice, we had just been walking together and talking of the weather and sports. He had asked if I played any and I had told him about my brothers teaching me cricket. Hyde Park is so beautiful, have you seen the roses?"

"Yes, I have, but why are you talking of roses now? You are telling me of your outing with Mr Black."

"Indeed I am, you see, I stopped to admire them and had leant in to smell them when he came up close behind me and had said that I smelled of roses and when I blushed he picked a rose that was also red and gave me it wrapped in his handkerchief."

"That is rather unusual. Perhaps it was his way of simply paying you a compliment," Judith suggested.

"It may be, do you really think I am reading into it a little much?"

"I am most certain!" Judith exclaimed. "Dearest Lavinia, you must realise that not all gentlemen, especially those you will find in London during the season, are as charming as your brother and Lord Alder. They all have different ways of expressing themselves."

Lavinia's mind was put at ease. Colin had paid her a compliment and she had not even thanked him for it. She must react more appropriately next time, she should not be so cold to the first gentleman in London who had paid her any attention.

Arriving at the seamstress shop, the girls perused the catalogues and picked out several new designs and calmer tones of fabric for Lavinia's new dressses. Judith had chosen a few for herself also and they had plenty of fun picking out matching gloves, hats and various accessories to adorn them.

Deciding not to miss any more of the unusual heat and sunshine, the girls walked to the nearest park and strolled around it while sharing the latest gossip.

"Apparently, Miss Chamfer and Mr Hardy were out this morning in his carriage. They were talking so very deeply that they passed Lord and Lady Darlington without acknowledgement," Judith said.

"Is she not a little too young for him? I thought Mr Hardy close to forty and she a new debutante."

"Indeed they are, Miss Chamfer was at your coming out ball and Mr Hardy is already a widower with two children who stay in his country home."

"That is rather unfortunate, his wife died in childbirth did she not? He must be looking for more of a nanny than a wife I suppose. Miss Chamfer is rather gifted with children," Lavinia said.

"I could never marry a man with children, it would be difficult to get them to like me."

"I am sure anyone's children would be putty in your hands Judith, you are great with your nieces and nephews."