Chapter Nineteen: I can see the headline

After she shared a hug with Cal, he showed her to a beautiful guest bedroom, and told her that if she needed anything to come knock on his door.

She fell asleep quickly, and was woken up from a nightmare by the sound of someone knocking on the door.

"I'm sorry I woke you up. I'm fine, go back to bed!" She called out to whoever had been standing outside her door.

Getting ready for school that morning was difficult to say the least. It wasn't like she'd had time to pack an overnight bag during her explosive argument with her mom.

She eventually settled for the same pair of jeans she'd worn yesterday, and a dusty blue t-shirt that Cal had long since outgrown. She brushed her hair and her teeth, but with no concealer around, she couldn't hide the dark circles under her eyes.

When she went down to the kitchen to get something to eat, Cordelia thought to ask Cal where the eldest Sterling was, he vaguely answered, "He mentioned an urgent errand."

Cordelia drove to school in her own car, and took her time alone as an opportunity to think, now that she was in a better state of mind.

She was still pissed. But she also felt guilt gnaw at her conscience. Had she meant what she'd said? The hard truth was that yes, she had meant every horrible word. She just wished it weren't the case.

As for Eleanor...had she meant what she'd said? Probably. And Cordelia couldn't blame her. She could actually see where her mom was coming from. Which made her feel even worse than she already did. And to top it all off, she had stormed out, and probably had her mother worried sick. And the award for shittiest daughter goes to Cordelia Bishop, she thought to herself.

School was a blessed distraction. It went by in a blur, as Cordelia went through the day on auto-pilot. With the meager amount of sleep she had gotten, it was a miracle she didn't fall asleep in class.

As Cordelia put away her algebra textbook, Kendra stopped and leaned against the locker next to Cordelia's.

"Hey I haven't talked to you all day. Are you okay? You don't look so good..." Kendra commented, her dark brows knit together in concern.

Cordelia sighed and pulled out her french books before shutting the locker door. "Not really. My mom flipped out when I got home late. We got into a huge fight and before I even realised what I was doing, I walked out the door. Then the next thing I know, i'm on Cal's doorstep."

Kendra's mouth made an o-shape and she raised her brows so high that if they were any higher they'd be in her hairline. Cordelia expected Kendra's shock to turn into concern, but instead she frowned dubiously.

"You didn't...sleep with him...did you?" She whispered.

Cordelia felt her eyes narrow, "No." She said curtly.

Kendra quirked a brow and gave her a sideways glance. "Is that so?"

"It is." Cordelia said through gritted teeth.

A pregnant pause followed before Kendra blurted out. "I just don't understand why you won't tell me! I'm your best friend! And you won't even tell me you're dating him!"

Cordelia gaped at her best friend of seven years, "Wait...what?!" She could not believe what she was hearing.

Kendra dramatically gasped, and covered her mouth with her hands. "Or wait...is it the other one? Kol?" She inquired.

"No!" Cordelia's initial shock turned into annoyance.

Kendra pressed her lips together and let out an exasperated sigh. "I just...why won't you tell me? You're my best friend and it hurts that you don't trust me enough to tell me."