n.

" What do you think about this? " I held up the outfit for D'wight to see.

" What do you think, Kaylee? " he asked her. She did her signature stance: her hand on her chin.

" That's the first nice thing that you picked out today. " she smiled at me.

" Dang, that's cold, princess. " I put the outfit in the cart, browsing through more of the clothes.

" Is it safe to call you guys dad? " Kaylee asked us out of the blue. D'wight looked at me, and I looked at him.

" Why would you want to do that? " I asked out of curiosity.

" Because I love you guys. " she smiled, then looked away. " Yep, I love you guys! "

" And we love you, too. " I picked her up. " I see princess Tiana? "

" Yes, can I get it, daddy, please? " she begged D'wight.

" Go ahead, sweetie. " D'wight smiled, and she danced.

We finished shopping, paying for everything and heading to the car. Before we could get inside, we were approached by the police.

" D'wight Gulley and Terrell Longmire? " We nodded. " You're being arrested for the kidnapping of Kaylee and Jarih Lovelace. "

Another officer walked over to us, pushing D'wight's head onto the car.

" Aye, all of that shit is uncalled for. " I glared at him as D'wight stood straight up. " We didn't even kidnap them, who told you this? "

" The mother of those children reported it to us. " he told us.

" Daddy? " Kaylee lowly spoke. I looked at her. " What's going on? "

" I can't exactly tell you, but you'll have to go back with your mother for a little while. " D'wight told her. My heart shattered when I saw the tears coming down her face.

" You promised that we wouldn't have to go back. " she cried before sitting back down in her seat, crossing her arms.

" Let's go. " they walked us over to the police car.

" No, no, I need to make sure they're okay. " I resisted.

" Their mother is on the way to get them, get...in the car. " he shoved me inside, making the car bounce. He slammed the door closed. I looked over to D'wight who was crying.

" Hey, don't you worry yourself. We're going to get out of this. " I assured him, kissing his cheek.

" We promised her. We told her that she would never have to go back, and we broke that promise. " he leaned his head on my shoulder.

" It's not our fault, baby. " I consoled him.

A white Lincoln pulled up, slamming on breaks. The woman got out of the car, running to my Impala, crying. She reached for Kaylee, but she snatched away. She grabbed her by her arm, and Kaylee started to squirm and scream while the man got out to helped put her in the car. She unlatched Jarih's car seat as he cried. She walked over to the police car, smiling at us.

" Faggots never win, honey. " she laughed.

" The only thing that needs to be said: you better have a good lawyer, bitch. You take us to court, its over. " D'wight spat with envy. His words even had me feeling some type of way, I can only imagine how she felt.

She twisted away from the police car, slamming the car door behind her. They sped off through the parking lot, making a right and vanishing.

We made it to the police station, and they stripped us, giving us the orange jumpsuits. I was expecting D'wight to be afraid, but surprisingly he wasn't.

" What's your statement? " the detective asked, pressing the record button on the little gadget.

" There's nothing to be said! Those kids walked to our house that night of the storm. That happened at the end of June, it is now December. Those children have been with us since then, and she suddenly wants them back? " D'wight argued. He scribbled on his notepad.

" You're telling me that you guys have been caring for the children since July. " he repeated and we nodded. " Do you have any witnesses? "

" Uhh, yes. There's this restaurant down the street.... "

" Pointers. " I recalled.

" There's a server that works there, her name is Cali. She saw what happened that night. " D'wight informed him.

" What happened? "

" She walked right past her children, not saying a word. "

" And she had the nerve to wave at us, like everything was okay. " I added.

" Okay, okay. " he nodded. " It'll probably take two days of investigations..... "

A knock at the door interrupted him. He looked up, and the man told him to let us go. He walked over to the door, slightly opening it.

" What happened? "

" The mother confessed that there was no kidnapping, but she is suing them. " a female detective spoke. He nodded, closing the door and walking back over to us.

" Well, today is your lucky day. " he smiled at us. " You're both free to go, but we will use this information in the court for the lawsuit. "