Chapter 3 New Boyfriend

I stared at his back before pulling myself away from the locker and running out of the room. My feet led me past the school gates and onwards till my house came into sight. They pumped on never stopping until I had reached my room. I flung open the door and threw myself on the bed. Tears were seeping down my face before I knew it. My mind went back to the moment in the room; I had felt so lost as if I could not control myself. Of course I had heard stories of finding one’s mate and the feelings that came with it but I was too young right. I mused over these thoughts as my tears flowed.  It must have been a while I cried because before I knew it my door opened and someone stepped in. “You lazy pig,” my mother gritted out. I heard her walk across the room and before I knew it she was dragging my feet across the bed. My knees hit the ground with a thud and I groaned. “Get your butt downstairs and help clean up!” she cried and then exited the room. I sniffed and then got up. What else could I do but follow her.

                I washed the dishes and cleaned up before going to take a shower. My mind was still roving over what had happened as I fell asleep. I awoke the next day and went to clean myself up. Yesterday was so messed up, I had missed work and then… I donned a pair of slightly torn denims and a blue vest before slipping on my hoodie. My feet led me out the door instead of the kitchen; I knew it would be a lost cause anyway. The walk to school seemed longer than usual. I did not have but breakfast that morning, I was too depressed. The school gates came into sight and I sighed, another day in nightmare land. I was at my locker when I saw them. Maya was clutched in a firm grasp against his chest. My eyes wondered up from my locker as they passed. I stared at his shoulder. A black jacket was covering it. I sighed. The tattoo that I had seen on his shoulder came to me. What did I want, confirmation.

                School passed as usual, the same taunts and jeers. I was so accostomed to it by now that they did not hurt anymore. I stayed as far away from my sister and her new boyfriend that day. My thoughts fell on them. I knew that he thought that Maya was me and maybe that was for the best. After school I made my way to work. Mr. Martinez smiled and shook his head. “We missed you yesterday,” he said. “I’m sorry,” I said and he nodded as I got behind the counter at his small café.  Work was long but for the one moment in my life I felt like I had something to do that I would not be laughed at about. When I was done I waved Mr. Martinez goodbye as he closed up the shop and then put my hands into my pockets. The walk to my house was not far but in the dark it seemed long, too long. I walked on unaware of my surroundings until a car beeped its horn beside me. I had my hoodie on so I turned slightly. “Hey Maya,” someone called. I froze.

                There was a peel of laughter and then giggles. “Yo Luc that’s not Maya!” someone shouted. My head snapped up and then turned to stare at them. “It’s that Father Killer!” the voice rang out. I stepped back and stared at his hazel eyes. He stared back with furrowed eyebrows before speaking. “Yeah it  ...is...” his words trailed off and then the car sped away. I stared after them and then sniffed as a teardrop slid down my cheek. That was all the confirmation I needed.