Chapter 9 ~ Awe

Chapter 9 ~ Awe

* Max's POV *

"I think, this might be my new hobby," Macy said, as she mindlessly picked up a book from the bookshelf.

"They say reading a book is like entering a whole new world," Avery mused, she raised from the couch and walked towards Macy. She let her finger tips trace the spines of the books and picked out a random one. "I recommend this one. I read it all the time."

Macy took the book off her and placed the other one back. She read the blurb. "This sounds good."

"You won't be able to put it down. Trust me," Avery assured.

Macy arched an eyebrow. She didn't look convinced. "This isn't going to make my sanity deteriorate, is it?"

"Well, you probably won't know what to do with yourself after finishing it. But, you'll get over it."

As Avery said this, I had the sudden feel that I was being watched over. I whipped my head backwards and was confronted with nothing. It must be thoughts. I assured myself. I told myself that I was going to get over it.

I can't live in the past anymore. Not after what Macy said.

"Dad are you okay?" Macy asked noticing my sudden discomfort.

I tried to tip up my lips but I failed. I nodded. "I'm alright," I said. Again, she didn't look convinced but she shrugged it off.

"Well I would love to stay and chat but... this book is calling my name. Bye everyone," Macy bid. Everyone said their goodbyes and I got the sudden feeling again.

There was a knock at the door. I got up. I walked down the hallway and to the front door. I opened it and stood before me was a woman. She lowered her hood slowly and I saw her dark, wavy hair. She locked her eyes with me.

I staggered backwards and my body shook dangerously. I saw everything in my mind that I hopelessly tried to repress. And just like 17 years ago, my body shattered. I tried to blink away the memories. It was the memories that I had lost my sense of identity and more importantly, my humanity. My heart started to race uncontrollably in my chest and my brain stopped in desperate need of being rebooted.

I wasn't even sure if I had stopped breathing because everything apart from me was moving.

"What are you doing here?" I managed to voice.

This is a dream. This is a dream. This is a dream. I rubbed my eyes until I could see nothing but flashes. I looked to see if she was still her and she was.

"I don't know what I'm doing here but I feel like I belong here," she spoke softly. Each word was a relentless stab to the heart. My breathing started to wheeze and I felt very lightheaded.

"You must be at the wrong place," I told her inaudibly. She shook her head in ease. How could this be so easy for her?

"I don't think I am," she replied. Why do her eyes crinkle in the same way?

"Amelia?" I croaked. "No it can't be." My voice trembled in a way in simply betrayed me. I hated how she was my biggest weakness.

"I am Amelia," she said surely. I felt like I had been slapped. My mouth went dry and my chest tightened.

I couldn't comprehend it. Amelia is here. Amelia is not dead. How is that possible?

"You're not Amelia," I stated. "You might look and sound like her, but you're not her."

She furrowed her eyebrows at me. "Maybe I'm not the same Amelia," she mused. I let my eyes unashamedly scan her body. She had the same legs, same torso, same arms, hair, face, lips... eyes.