(19)

Kate Hudson as Samantha Gray (Alexa's mom).
........................

"WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!" I hear a voice screaming at me. I groan as I open my eyes to the bright light shining in the room as I see Z's face. I groan as I stuff my head in the pillow. This was the first night since ages I have slept without waking up in the middle of the night with a nose bleed or sweating like hell. I hear her sigh as she pulls the covers off me. I groan again as I open my eyes and glare at her sleepily. She smiles innocently and hugs me; I sigh and hug her back.

"Good morning." I say as she pulls away.

"Good afternoon, you mean. It's already 11:45 and you still need to shower. Oh, and your mom is downstairs." She says. I spring out of bed suddenly; mom is back? I hurry up out of my bedroom and down the stairs to see my mom already sitting in the kitchen reading the newspaper; as always. I run to her with a huge grin on my face as she finally notices me and opens up her arm for a hug. I hug her back as tightly as possible as she smiles into my shoulder. I pull away and smile again.

"I missed you so much." I say as she smiles at me and ruffles my hair.

"Aw, I missed you too." She says with the smile, in a second her expression changes to anger. "But, hold up a minute, you had a fever and didn't tell me?!" she adds, putting her hands on her hips in an accusing move, I smile sheepishly and innocently; I'll kill Z.

"I'm sorry, okay? I didn't want you to get worried. You had to have fun there for at least 4 days except constantly worrying over me here." I say. Her expression softens as she puts her hand on my shoulder.

"Okay, I'll forgive you this time." She says as she raises her hands up in surrender. Her expression turns again but to excitement and curiosity. "So," she says, elongating the 'O' "What did you do with Noah yesterday?" she adds, wiggling he eyebrows at me.

"Well, that's something I'd like to know." Z says, coming into the kitchen. I groan knowing that Z told her I went on a date with Noah. Mom pulls me to a barstool and sits on the one in front of me next to Z. I sigh as I start telling them about the bicycles and the road in the forest, the Trampoline place and MacDonald's and that waitress and finally the waterfall. I hesitate before I say the next words knowing Z won't let me live it down.

"He, uh, he kissed me when he dropped me off." I say, biting my bottom lip and looking at my hands. Mom's eyes widen as she puts her hands over her mouth and squeals. Z stands up and does a little bit of a happy-weird dance.

"YES! NALEXA FOREVER BABE!" she says as she fist pumps the air. I laugh a bit as well as mom at her childishness.

"And he literally claimed me as his girlfriend." I say as a blush creeps to my cheeks. Mom's jaw drops as well as Zoë's. Mom squeals again as she pulls me into a hug.

"Congratulations, my baby girl." Mom coos me as she pulls away. I smile at her as Zoë grins.

"I told you my ship would sail." She says smugly. I push her playfully as she laughs.

"But, mom, you have got to know something. He doesn't know." I say as I shake my head lightly, taking in the consequences of my idiocy. Mom looks at me weirdly.

"Doesn't know what?" she says. I look at her tiredly and anxiously. Z looks at me and gulps.

"I'll go prepare your outfit, okay?" she says as she gets up. I nod at her as she mouths 'Good Luck'.

"What's going on, Alexa?" mom asks.

"Mom, I didn't tell him about the cancer." I say in one breath as I put my head down. She stares at me for a second and then sighs.