Chapter 35

Those who say that we're in a time when there are no heroes, they just don't know where to look.~ Ronald Reagan

Dedicated to athenas_fav_daughter, for the wonderful username and the amazing votes and comments. Thank you so much! <3

Dylan

Life in the aftermath of kissing your mortal enemy isn't like what you would see on TV shows. At least for me, there's not. There's no denial, no moments of complete and utter confusion, staring into space at the inevitability of that occurring. All it was for me was the feeling of it being overwhelmingly good. Like really good. If this is why people got married and put up with each other, I totally understood why.

Although I didn't run after her, I spent the entire night after that thinking about it. How sometimes I didn't want to be a superhero, and I didn't want her to be my enemy, and her to be a villain, just so I could see what she was like in real life. What she really looked like.

Waking up the next day, I didn't feel any different than usual, other than the fact that I couldn't get the kiss out of my mind. Unfortunately, it was still break, and I had to put up with staying at home, and not letting Siena know anything.

Oh, that's right. I had to also deal with the overwhelming guilt of kissing my mortal enemy and being in love with my best friend, who I couldn't tell. Just great.

I stumbled out of bed and into the bathroom, rubbing my hand over my face, trying to wake myself up. By the time I had gotten out of bed and into the kitchen to make myself something to eat, it was past 12. I stared at the clock. I never slept in that late. The latest I had ever done was 10:30. Of course, Siena had me beat, with a time more around 24 hours straight.

I groaned, and slumped to the couch in my living room, nearly falling back asleep. However, I was woken up by the sound of someone pounding on the door, nearly ripping it off its hinges with the force they were using against it.

I got up and ran a hand through my hair, trying and failing to make it look presentable to whoever was at the door. Thank the gods, it was only Jake, who came through like a hurricane, ripping through the place.

"Dylan! I have some great news!"

"You made out with Calli the entire night?" I guessed, shutting the door behind him and leaning against it, my arms crossed.

"No! Well, yes, but that's not it. I finally figured out how to take down Gemini."

"How?" I asked, suddenly interested.

"All right, so what we have to do is we have to figure out all of the clues before them, and find the location of the last one. We have to defend that building, and soon, they'll come looking for it. Then, you guys will engage in an epic fight and I will be there, helping and assisting you far away, in the sidelines." He smirked.

I rolled my eyes and stood up straight, taking my weight off the door. "Sounds like a plan where I nearly get killed and you survive."

He shrugged. "Shouldn't the hero nearly die a few times to defeat the villain?" He gave me a rakish grin, and pulled out his cellphone.

"Oh, and I forgot to mention, Black Hawk wants to meet you back at St. Patrick's around 2 today. Sound good?"

"Yeah." I lied. Just the thought of seeing her again sent both trepidation and excitement through me. What was she going to say? Was she even going to bring up the kiss? I wasn't sure whether I wanted her to ignore it, or bring too much attention to it.

"Hey, Siena here?" He asked.

I shook my head. "No, I would have seen her door open. It's shut. She must have gone out somewhere before I woke up. I didn't get up until fifteen minutes ago.