Prologue

Drunken Mistake..........or not?

© Anna Hailings-Sharma 2011

Prologue

"I can't believe they'd do this to me!" I exclaimed as I re-read the wedding invitation in my head. My mind was going in overdrive.

"Well, it's no surprise to me." Naina said in a sympathetic voice as she gently rubbed my shoulders in order to soothe me.

"I know they hate me and want to get rid of me as fast as possible but this is the height!" I was getting real shouty which is so not good.

"Cassy, listen to me." Naina gently took the card out of my hand and set it down on the bed besides me. Then she wiped my tears and took my hand in hers and spoke. "Cas, this is high time. They always do this to you and you always bear it saying they are your family but families don't do such.....such veil things. It's time you stand up to them."

"But how can I? I mean........"

"Yes you can and you will. You are no damsel in distress, you see this apartment," she waved her hand her hand around "this is yours. You have bought this on your own dime. You have made yourself something in the hardest of situations which proves how strong you really are. You can do this Cas, all you have to do is let go for once. Let the fate make decisions for a change." I smiled a sad smile. Naina has been urging me to stand up to my family for as long as I can remember and it's a long time too as we've have been together since college. My cousin and Naina's elder sister were good friends. She had an apartment at a walking distance from college. So when I asked if I could rent it she told me that I would have to ask her sister. We hit off immediately, so I ended up staying with Naina throughout my collage life. She knows everything about me and I about her. We've been like sisters.

"I know Sim, but well....... Ugh!" I sounded pathetic to even my own years, making excuse for my messed up family. Just as Naina opened her mouth my phone started ringing. Martina. Great.

"Hello Martina." I greeted my step-mother in a bored voice so as to hide my inner turmoil.

"Hello to you too Cassandra." She spoke as if she was mocking me. My dearest family is the only one that calls me with my full name. "Did you get the card?" she sounded bored but I knew she was anything but.

"Yes, I just received it." I was pleased of how calm my voices sounded. Naina had a scowl on her face. She muttered witch under her breath. I smiled at her.

"So, when are you coming to the house? I'm sure Marcie might need you for something or the other." I never considered that place home. Even they refer it as the house when they speak to me.

"Oh, I'm not sure I'd be needed." I know the real reason for my sudden need. Martina and Marcie just wanted to flaunt it in my face of how they have managed to snatch one more thing that was once mine.

"It's your sister's marriage Cassandra; the least you could do is be supportive." Marriage my foot. I wanted to yell at her, telling her that it's not a marriage but a sham, just like the others. I wanted to tell her how much I loved Jeremy. I wanted to ask her how she could be so cruel. This was the last straw. The water has now gone above the head. My expression must've turned darker for Naina suddenly sat up.

"No, now you listen to me. I've had it enough from you and your barbie of a daughter. All these years you've been bullying me and I've been taking it all without complaint but this has to stop. I don't know how you managed to trap Jeremy but I know why. And also, no, I would not come and help you in making a fool of myself." I finished my rant in a deadly calm voice. Naina was smiling like a crazy person.

"How dare you talk to me like that! I'm your moth......" but I cut off her little screaming contest.

"Mother? Huh, hell no." there was no way I was taking her bullshit anymore. "And I'm going for a vacation so do me a favor and don't call. Goodbye, witch." With that I hung up. I was so pleased with myself for standing up to her like that. Naina literally jumped on me and knocked me down.

"Oh my gosh! I can't believe you actually stood up to her!"

"I know! I cant' either!" we looked at each other and stared laughing.

"So, we are going on a vacation." Naina asked as we calmed down.

"Looks like so." I smiled as her eyes got huge.

"Wow! Ms. Uptight's going on a vacation. That's certainly a first." It's true. I haven't been on a vacation ever since I started working, not that I had gone out that much before but still.

"Yea, right. So, where are we going?" I asked Naina.

"Dunno, you say?"

"I just want to move on. Start over." I sat on the bed, Naina followed suit.

"I too want a break from everything. Especially my parents." Naina's parents are very religious, which is why they are pestering their daughter to marry before she could fall in love. Apparently, falling in love is a sin.

"Why, you fell in love with someone?" I teased.

"Yeah right, as if falling in love is that easy."

"Agreed." I raised my hand as if to vote.

"I know a place where we can go!" Naina suddenly jumped off the bed and looked at me with wide eyes. I groaned. This is so not good. Whenever Naina has that little glint in her eyes warning bells start ringing in my head.

"Where?" I cautiously asked.

"Vegas"

Finally! I've been thinking about this for quite sometime now.

Okay, so I've changed vocation to vacation.

I hope you guys like it :)

Please fan me or vote me to let me know you read it. Comment to tell me how I am doing so far :)

Much Love,

Bella