Chapter 25

Ben
February 20, 2005

*

Same day

*

She's taking this better than I thought.

I figured she would have tried to run by now, but I guess curiosity killed the Kat. Hah. She would probably kill me if I said that out loud.

"Yeah, oh." She teases me. How can she treat me the same now that she knows the truth?

The person she is dating isn't even real. Fake dating, I mean.

Now she knows the truth, I'm a loser.

"I'm sorry." I can't even look at her, I'm so embarrassed.

"For what?" For being me.

"I'm not who you thought I was." I'm not even sure who I am anymore. I know I don't like the fake make, but what if I don't even like the real me?

Her giggle breaks through my depressing thoughts. Wait, is she laughing at me? "Ben, seriously? Why would you think this is bad news?"

"Because..." This is bad news, right?

"Stop, it's great news."  Her voice sweet, like honey.

"It is?" She's glad I'm a loser?

"I mean, you've still technically been with a lot of women, I guess..." Oh shit... Here we go.

"Not as many as you would think. Like I said, most passed out and I left. I'm not really into sex with unconscious girls. Takes all the fun out of it." Oh shit, that sounded bad.

"Not that I've ever... done... that. Which you know because... I've never... done it with anyone... unconscious or not. Not that I would, you know, if given the chance. Obviously..." What the fuck is wrong with me? Stop. Talking. Idiot.

She's laughing so hard, she's shaking but no sound is coming out. She falls back on the bed, so I move to lay next to her.

"Glad you find me amusing." I chuckle, poking her cheek.

"Oh. My. God. I. Can't. Even. Breathe." She's gasping for air in between each word, but she's still hysterical.

"You know... This is kinda starting to hurt my feelings." I smile to let her know I'm just teasing her.

"Sorry!" Yeah, right.

"No, you aren't." I poke her in the side, causing her to jump. Oh man...

"Bentley! Don't. You. Dare!" She's onto me. I guess I didn't hide my excitement very well.

She holds her hands up to defend herself, like that will help.

"I swear, Ben, I'm not responsible for your injuries." I roll my eyes. Yeah, right... like she could hurt me.

I dig my fingers into her sides causing her to flail around, her screaming and laughter mixing together to fill the room. "Ben! Stop!"

I laugh as I continue my assault. "I. Am. Going. To. Kill. You." She squeals out each word, making her far less intimidating.

She tries to glare at me, but it's hard to be afraid of her when she's laughing hysterically. Her elbow shoots back, hitting me in the jaw. Okay, that hurt a little.

"Sorry!" It didn't hurt that bad, but her apologizing makes me stop. I'm tickling her and she's sorry?

Shit. I can be a real asshole sometimes.