Chapter Twelve

• Dedicated to Leah Ransfield

This song is dedicated to Heather. Its called Picking up the Pieces by Paloma Faith. Granted the lyrics themselves don't relate to Heather so much. But picking up the pieces is something Heather does have to relate to here. There is also a very small hint in the song. You guys may never be able to guess. I am that evil. Its a nice song too ^_^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                                          Jake

When I woke up it was six in the morning and it was impossible to get back to sleep. After tossing and turning for the next two hours I gave up.

It was going to be a difficult day for Heather today.

I thought about Charles because he is one of my best friends. Was it right to keep this secret from him? 

“Jake,” I heard my mom say outside my bedroom door, “are you up?”

“Yeah,” I heard myself say.

The bedroom door creaked open and there was mom standing in the doorway with a sleepy expression on her face. She was still in her pajama’s dad and I had gotten her from last mother’s day. Yes, flower power. Her bed head was much worse than mine.

She let herself in carrying a mug of coffee in her hand. The smell of coffee would always be one of my favorite smells in the world next to candles that were just blown out smell. Although I don’t like to drink it.

“I got one of those feelings,” my mom said practically dragging her feet across the floor to my bed. “You know one of those mom feelings.”

Uh-oh.

She sat on my bed the same time I sat up. Then she took a very long look at me. In her face I could see traces of myself in them. In the sides of her mouth where I was surely going to get the same lines in a few decades were present there. In fact from remembering her high school pictures I saw where I could a lot of my bone structure from.

I waited for her to get to the point.

Instead she just looked away embarrassed by something.

“I guess I feel like I’m loosing you sometimes,” she shook her head.

Immediately I reached out to soothe her back.

“You’ve got a boyfriend now,” she said, “I saw the way he looked at you yesterday. All this time and I… and I… never expected it to happen so soon. You have no idea what a parent goes through wondering how their child is. If they find someone that makes them happy. If they don’t find someone that makes them happy.”

She took a sip from her cup and set it in her lap between her hands.

“And not that I wish it to happen to you,” she looked at me hard then, “but to experience heartbreak…”

She blinked several times unable to finish.

“What are you trying to tell me mom?”

“Well,” she finally was able to move on even though her eye’s were misty, “Just that after watching you grow up. Heartbreak is due to happen. Not saying I want it to happen of course.”

Sometimes my mom was such an emotional klutz.

“If you ever need me,” she sipped more coffee, “you’ve got my shoulder to cry on. And that I wish I could spend more time with you.”

“Thanks mom,” and I may have sounded sarcastic because she snapped me another look.

Too bad the window was out of jumping range.