Chapter Eleven and a Half-

Chapter Eleven and a Half—

      “Hey nerd! Was that your girlfriend just now? You two make such a dorky couple!” That sickly-sweet raspy voice belonging to the one and only Emily Roberts taunted. Who was she terrorizing now? I turned the corner to see her talking to Owen. What the hell did she want with Owen? I looked over to him, to spot any traces fear on his face. I looked into his eyes, and they were screaming, “SAVE ME!” I took that as a signal to intervene.

      “Emily, what the fuck are you doing?” I asked.

      “OMG! Hey Juli-Jules! Oh my gawd! I love your hair like that! So pretty! Speaking of pretty did you like see Aimee Travis’ dress the other night? Talk about gorgeous!” she said, trying to momentarily stall me.

      “You didn’t answer my question.”

      “What question?”

      “Why the fuck are you screwing with Owen- that question.”

      “Oh no sweetie! I’d never screw Owen; believe me.”

      “Whatever. Owen, come on,” I said, taking his hand, and leading him away from Emily.

      “Thanks,” he said quietly, as we walked away.

      “Yeah, no problem, what was that about anyways?”

      “Uh… Charlotte came up to me to ask about math homework, I kissed her on the cheek, she blushed, left, and Emily saw,” he blushed.

      “Well I think that’s sweet! Not what Emily did- but you kissing her. You really like her, don’t you?”

      “Umm… yeah. But I don’t think she likes me.”

      “Oh Owen! So many things you don’t know. That girl is crazy about you! But you’re going to have to take it slow with her. REAL slow.”

      “Yeah, I know. I just really like her I guess.”

      “Aw! So where are you off to?”

      “The library… to study,” he mumbled. Oh Owen! The quiet smart one. I don’t really know him, but he always seems nice.

      “I’m coming,” I stated.

      “Have you ever been there before?”

      “Nope. But there’s a first time for everything, right?”

      “Sure…”

      “Cool! Lez go!” I said. I followed Owen through the passages of halls, and down the countless steps of stairs; until we reached a musty old room filled to the brim with books. Wow. This place is scary!

      “And here we are,” Owen smiled. “Shocked?”

      “Yup.”

      “So you’ve really never been down here?”

      “Nope,” I shook my head.

      “Well then, welcome to the library!”

      “Thanks? What do you do down here?”

      “I study, and just take in all the peace and quiet.”

      “Okay? Wait… there’s like no one here… OWEN! Are you smoking pot down here?” I half joked, hoping to get a reaction out of him.

      “NO! Absolutely not! I would nev- I don’t smoke pot,” he said.

      “What was that? Oh so you’ve tried it?”