CHAPTER FIVE: DOING WHAT WAS RIGHT

At his disclosure of the truth, Kate felt shock ripple through her body. Ryce? And Jen? Together?!! Hell, what a mess! So that was why Aidan had been behaving so coldly towards Ryce. How the hell did that happen?

Releasing the toddler who had become impatient and was wriggling in her arms, she barely caught sight of him running to his mother as she entered the room closing the door. She wanted some private time alone with Aidan who was sitting on the edge of the bed looking as if he was ready to tear the whole world down.

“Wh..When?” she stammered finally breaking the silence when she got back her voice.

“Just after I left you in my car, I ran to Jennifer to explain that it was a silly mistake,” he explained unaware of the effect his words were having on her. Right at that moment, she understood that Aidan considered the kiss they had shared at the greatest mistake of his life. And damned if he still hadn’t the power to hurt her.

While she stood listening to the glory details of the fateful event, she registered only a few things. For one, he wasn’t blaming her for breaking him off with his girlfriend and she should be grateful for that. He wasn’t giving much importance to what had happened between them and for him what happened between them was completely different of what happened between Ryce and Jen. She couldn’t voice out anything even if she wanted to and Aidan must have taken her silence for her sympathy since he went on.

“I felt so betrayed. I mean what happened between you and me was nothing like what happened between them. They were not drunk for Heaven’s sake!” Aidan exclaimed outrageously.

And neither had he been drunk, Kate thought inwardly. But he had returned her kiss with as much fervor as she had demanded and she could remember every second of that moment which she had cherished for the past six years. And would cherish all her life.

Except it was only a silly mistake for him. She knew better than to voice out her inner feelings. At least not now. To him, their kiss had only been something to humor her, something he had gone along only not to rebuke her. Something she should be grateful for. While the kiss between Ryce and Jen had been a betrayal. Which made sense.

But it was only a kiss for God’s sake and if Aidan was making such an issue out of it, it only meant one thing. He had to love Jennifer like mad. It was the only explanation for his wounded husband attitude even after all that time. And his next words confirmed her doubt.

“And when you sent me the invitation, I thought there was no better way than to get back at them for what they did to me,” he told her in a calm voice as if he was not just breaking her heart.

Aidan had not attended her wedding because he had wanted to meet her. Because he had missed her and wanted to start their friendship afresh. But it was clear now that the only reason he was here was because of Jennifer. He wanted to meet her and the irony of things was that Jennifer had refused her invitation.

Although she was already aware of that fact, Kate felt hurt beyond words and the usual constricting of her heart whenever when Aidan was around. Had been experiencing that feeling even before she had caught them kissing together in the parking lot. Before, she had realized that she had fallen in love with Aidan.

With his new girlfriend in tow, Aidan had given her less importance and she had initially believed that it had only been her deteriorating friendship which had made her feel so strongly towards him. But when she had caught them kissing, her heart had finally accepted the fact that she loved him and it was only too late to confess her feelings to him.

It was all coming back to haunt her and it was not a good sign. Not when her wedding was only one month away. Hell, she must have been masochist for wanting to call him over. And now her salvation would be to bring him and Jennifer together again so that she could be Mrs. Bigfoot without any qualms.