I Found Someone

I Found Someone 

Cassie

Passionless marriage? Check

Husband that cheats with sister? Check.

Totally irresistible next-door neighbor? Check.

Awkward get together where douche-bag husband and hunky neighbor will inevitably meet? Double check.

My life was becoming the script for a Lifetime movie.

As it turns out, Uncle Irvin, Dad's long time best friend and partner in crime, had no idea that Carrie had been blacklisted by the family. He was a bit of a recluse and didn't believe in staying connected via social media, so we only saw him a few times a year and that was the time we caught up on all of the family drama. When Ward, Walker and I had rounded the large lake house and appeared in the backyard, Uncle Irv's eyes had immediately connected with mine and a guilty look overtook them. I wasn't angry with him, I couldn't be. Uncle Irv had the best intentions, but we all knew what they said about good intentions.

Daddy had immediately wrapped his arms around me and Walker when we got close enough, whispering a sincere apology before stealing his grand-baby then turning to a silent Ward. All eyes were on us and it set my teeth on edge.

"And who might this be?" Daddy asked louder than necessary, trying to dispel the awkward air hanging around everyone. It seemed to work.Ward stuck his hand out and gave my Daddy a bright, sincere smile.

"Ward Montgomery, sir. I'm technically Cassie's neighbor, but we've become good friends as well. Nice to meet you." I blushed as Daddy tossed me look that said he wasn't buying the 'just friends'bit. I knew he'd see through me bringing someone to meet the family.

"I'm Dave Malcolm." They shook hands and unlike every time Dad shook Dalton's hands, Ward didn't flinch or pull away quickly. He just smiled while he looked my Dad in the eye and suddenly my dad's grave look shifted to one of approval before he smiled. "Welcome to the family, Ward."

** * * *

After numerous hugs and kisses from family I hadn't seen in forever, I was finally released into the domain I reigned when there was any kind of family get together; the kitchen. I'd been lucky enough to avoid Carrie and Dalton, but since neither of them knew the purpose of a kitchen, I figured they wouldn't venture this way in the first place. Ward, on the other hand, came to check on me every thirty minutes or so, sometimes accompanied by a giggling Walker. When his arms weren't filled with a wiggly ten month old, he'd come and attempt to steal some of the goods I had managed to finish already. My chest seemed to tighten uncontrollably when I watched them together, but I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or a bad one. I was covered in flour as I heard the door creak behind me but I didn't bother to turn around, I figured it was Ward.

"You're not getting another cookie from me, Ward Montgomery." I teased softly as I rolled up another log of dough for cinnamon rolls.

"Is cookie code for something else?" I swung around quickly at the sound of Dalton's voice, causing flour to fly all over the kitchen. He looked just as he did when I last saw him but this time it didn't cause my heart to skip a beat. I take note of the hard look in his eyes but don't say anything.

"Ah, no." I breathe out, unsure what to say. I know I don't have to answer him but I do either way.

"There's some two bit redneck outside holding my son, do you want to explain who hell he is?" I'm taken aback by the brisk tone before I am the words. What right does he have to demand who is around his son? It wasn't like he'd spent any real amount of time with Walker.