Friend Zoned

HERMIONE’S POV

Caleb Green stood by the foot of the stairs waiting for me just like he’d said he would. His brown hair was styled in messy perfection, it was one of those looks that were supposed to look like he just rolled out of bed, but I knew he had most likely been in front of a mirror for the past half hour. His bright green eyes lit up and a smile spread on his face when he saw me descend the stairs. I had to admit he was a good-looking kid, but he was nowhere near my boyfriend. I had a soft spot for the blonde boy; ever since we met, Draco had been in my thoughts, the good and the bad ones.

         “Ready?” he asked offering his arm like a real gentleman. I sent him a beaming smile and nodded.

         “I am so sorry I’m late.” I gushed but he just padded my back gently, telling me it didn’t matter. He was just glad I didn’t stand him up.

         “I’d never do that!” I exclaimed, “I just overslept.” We started towards Hogsmeade; our plan was to eat something there. Because I was Head Girl I could go whenever I wanted and I could bring anyone I wanted with me. Usually I went with Draco or Ginny, but I thought it was better to go to Hogsmeade instead of hanging around Hogwarts where people gossiped.

         “Sure you did.” He winked at me suggestively.

         “Caleb! I’m serious, I did oversleep.”

         “Well, you did seem extremely tired yesterday morning when I found you sleeping on the floor, that wasn’t enough sleep for you?” he grinned making me hit him.

         “Arse. I’m just insanely sleep deprived lately.”

         “I wonder why…” Caleb hummed, with a look on his face that told me he thought exactly the opposite than what was actually true.

         “Get those perverted thoughts out of your head, Green. It’s not like that!” I sighed, almost wishing it was. It was like Draco pushed me away every time I tried to make a move. We basically hadn’t had sex since we found out I was pregnant. I guess that was partly my fault though, at first I had been freaking out about the fact that a person was growing inside me, but then I started having those weird dreams and I guess I began pushing him away a little every time I was reminded of how much my life used to suck because of him, and then he started to reject me because, well I didn’t really know why, I guess he thought I was growing insane.

I wasn’t, right?

         “Oh really? Are you telling me the most perfect couple in the whole world,” was that sarcasm I sensed in his voice? “Aren’t doing the dirty?” he wiggled his eyebrows quickly up and down.

         “I don’t want to talk about it,” I sighed as I linked my arm through his. “Talk about something else,”

         “Like what?”

         “I don’t know, tell me about yourself? Tell me why you’re suddenly spending time with me instead of your girlfriend?” Caleb laughed loudly and then sent me a beaming smile.

         “I don’t have a girlfriend, Hermione.” He grinned, “I did for a while though. You know Astoria?”

         “Greengrass?” I asked incredulously, my jaw probably hung down by my knees at that moment. Yeah, I knew that slag very well. I basically saw her naked in the beginning of the year, when Draco had tried to make me jealous. It worked of course. But I had actually forgot about her. I really didn’t like her. What did Caleb see in her? He was so nice and handsome, she was . . . well, a slag, a dumb and spiteful girl.