Chapter 8 - Consequences

Caty's POV:

We stormed up the stairs, me holding my dress so I wouldn't trip. No use really, since I would probably damage it defending Hermione. How dare he treat her that way?

We got to the painting,  George said the password, and we were through. I was the first on in, my face red from fury. Ron was sitting in a chair, he head resting on one hand.

"HOW DARE YOU?" I shouted, Ron scurrying out of his seat in surprise. "HOW DARE YOU TREAT A GIRL THAT WAY? HERMIONE GRANGER FOR GOODNESS SAKE!"

I started to approach him slowly.

"NO ONE HURTS MY FRIENDS. IF THEY DO, THEY WILL REGRET IT, AND MERLIN, RON WEASLEY YOU ARE ABOUT TO GET IT."

Ron was backed into a corner at this point, him looking at me with an unreadable expression.

"I JUST DONT UNDER STAND HOW SOMEONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND COULD DO THAT..."

"Don't you dare-" Garret started

I didn't realize what he meant, but then Ron's face turned angry and, before I could react, he slapped me. That caused the uproar from not only Fred, George and Garret, but the rest of the common room. Still holding my hand over the red mark he left, Garret gingerly ushered me to a chair, then after he'd done that, all of the Dark Side erupted.

"HOW DARE YOU SLAP HER? SHE IS MY GIRLFRIEND YOU DOOFUS! YOU JUST MESSED WITH ME, AND THE WHOLE SLYTHERIN HOUSE. NOT TO MENTION HER FRIENDS. DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE PROFESSORS! PROFESSOR SPROUT IS GONNA WHIP. YOUR. BUTT." Garret bellowed.

"DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED, RON." Fred yelled. "You are a disgrace to me, George, and everyone who say this happen. We trusted you Ron, I trusted you. And just because I took a girl that you could have made a move on sooner to the Yule Ball, you get all mad and start breaking hearts and hitting girls."

Ron didn't meet his eyes. At that time, the door swung open, and Kate emerged, her eyes murderous.
"WHO. HURT. MY. FRIEND." Kate said, her voice deep. Her eyes fell on Ron, and she laughed. "You. Your gonna die."

From there on out there was shouting, slapping, and Ron running up the stairs, George and Fred on his heels.

"C'mon, let's get out of here." I said, walking out, Garret on my heels. My face was slightly bruised from the impact.

Garret walked next to me, his arm over my shoulder. When we reached the bottom of the stairs, Hermione saw my face and stood up, running over to me.

"Oh Merlin are you okay?! What happened?" She asked at about 90 mph.
"Ron..." I couldn't finish.
"Ron slapped her." Garret said, his voice trembling in rage.
"WHAT?" Caroline and Hermione both shouted.
"No way..." Hermione mumbled.
"Yes way," I started. "then, Garret came up and told him right, and Kate came up and slapped him in every word she said. It was... Amazing" I said, my eyes sparkling.

Hermione looked terrible. Her eyes were puffy and she looked like she was gonna be sick. "I'm so sorry... If it's causing harm to my friends, I guess... I guess.... I have to break up with Fred."
"NO!" Garret and I shouted.
"We went there on our own account, Hermione, not because we were forced too. You can't breakup with him!" Garret told her.
"Yeah, Hermione, please don't." I added.
"...Fine, but if this gets any worse..."

At that moment, Fred came running down the stairs and hugging Hermione tightly. "I'm so sorry..." He whispered, her face buried into his shoulder. "George is writing to mum now, Kate is still scolding Ron, and Neville is explaining  to Professor McGonagall. It's all my fault Hermione..."

"No it's not," She said, raising her head. "It's mine. I provoked him. I should be the one explaining to Professor McGonagall, I am the one responsible for your bruise, Caty. I'm sorry..."

By this point, Hermione had tears streaming down her face. Caroline hugged her tight as Professor McGonagall walked in with Neville. "Explain to me what has happened." She said, her lips tight.

After I explained, Professor McGonagall shook her head. "I will confront Ron and other Professors. Harm against other students is strictly forbidden, especially hitting a girl."
"thank you Professor," I  mumbled.

She and Neville walked off, leaving us alone.

"Let's go upstairs, Hermione. You need some rest," Fred said, taking her up to the common room with George.
"I have to go, Caty, but I will have justice made, alright?"
"Alright," I said quietly. He kissed me and walked off.

"I better get going too," Caroline said. "Kate will come soon enough."  She yawned and walked off.

I started down stairs to the Hufflepuff house, awaiting Professor Sprout's fuss over my face.