Chapter Six

Three days blew past pretty quickly and I wasn't able to see Delaney on any of them. The family was keeping me busy as we tried to find out who had set one of our safe houses ablaze. I hadn't had time to even text Delaney during the stressful time and I'm sure she thought that I was a d-ck. The last thing I was trying to do was ignore her on purpose. I actually missed her. During the meetings, I would think about her laugh or her smile and begin smiling myself. Anybody who noticed in the crew would always give me sh-t about it, especially Leo, but I didn't care. I was really feeling Delaney and it didn't really matter what Leo or anyone else thought.

Despite always thinking of Delaney, I knew where my priority was: the family. The past couple of days were tense and almost unbelievable. We had crews set out to try and find out who burned down our safe house and killed a total of seven of our members and two random women. Our crews spied on other gangs that opposed us, but no one found anything. We actually didn't find the culprit until they ratted their own selves out. And when we found out who it was, we couldn't even believe it. It was one of our own men. His name was Phil. I didn't personally know him but he seemed to be known to deal drugs at incredible rates.

Phil gave himself up posthumously. One of our guys found him at his house with a bullet in his head and a suicide note beside him. According to his letter, he was the one who started the fire. He was drunk and playing with lighter fluid and before he knew it he had caused a huge fire. He ended up running out without warning anyone or trying to save anyone. In the letter, he said he was a coward and a fool. He knew that if we found out that we would have to kill him, so he decided to do the deed for us. He said he couldn't live with the guilt and that all he could think about was that he was the reason for his friends' death. It was a tragedy, but I was glad Phil ended things. It'd be harder on the family if we had to kill our own.

Once we got to the bottom of the fire situation, everyone needed a drink so that night we all got drunk in the honor of the victims of the fire and even Phil. The next day, since things were going good, I decided to go out and spend some quality time with some members of our crew. It was Lin, Leo, Rafael and about ten other of our members. We decided to go to our favorite diner together and grab some lunch and have some bonding time. When we got there, I sat at the end of the booth and lit myself a cigarette. "I'm f-cking hungry. The last thing I ate was p-ssy," Leo said with a slight laugh.

I rolled my eyes at her before taking a puff from my cigarette. "I'm still drunk from last night," Rafael replied as he rubbed his temples with his fingers. "Why did you guys let me drink so much?"

"I told you to stop after your eighth shot but you don't listen, chico. I'm surprised you're not somewhere dead right now," Leo told him as she smacked his back. He groaned and put his head on the table.

"Look who it is," Lin whispered to me as she looked directly forward. I looked at her and she had a small smile on her face. Following her eyes, I looked across the diner and found a pair of brown eyes staring right back at me. A grin came on my face and the girl grinned back at me before quickly looking away and going back to talk with her friends. I put out my cigarette and licked my lips as I kept my eyes on her. She was wearing a sassy black baseball cap that read 'petty' in capital letters. The color of her hat matched the ripped, black jeans she was wearing and the tight gray crop top she had on. Even though she stopped looking at me, I kept staring. How could she be so beautiful?

"Hey, Casanova. Eyes off the p-ssy and listen to the the conversation," Leo yelled at me to get my attention. Suddenly, Rafael picked his head up and nearly everyone else turned to look at who I was looking at. With so many eyes on her, Delaney naturally looked my way. She scowled at all the eyes she suddenly had on her and rolled her eyes before continuing the conversation she had with her friends.