Chapter Five: Your Trust

Then everything went dark.

I reached out and washed my hands, before rubbing my eyes, attempting to make them adjust to the sudden light change.

"Must have been a power cut", I murmured, "I think I have some torches in my room.

I left Kit where he was and headed for the bedroom, picking my way carefully around the furniture. My foot caught on the edge of the door frame, and I stumbled into the room, while attempting to steady myself on the clothes draw. I shuffled across to the bedside table and opened the cabinet, feeling around for the cold metal of the torch.

"Ah-hah!", I muttered to myself as I grabbed the cylinder object, before my attention was drawn to a knock on the door. A soft click came from the button as my thumb pressed down on it, suddenly illuminating the entire place with a yellow light.

"Just coming", I called out, jogging over to the door and swiftly unlocking it. On the other side stood the flat owner, an apologetic look on his elderly face.

"Alex, i'm really sorry, it's the storm you see-" I silenced him with a pat on the shoulder.

"Don't worry about it George, these things happen. Are you okay, do you have enough torches?", I gestured to the small lantern he held in his hand, which was already starting to flicker.

"Yes, yes I'm fine", He dismissed my question with a slight wave of his hand, "Well, I better be off, I still have the whole ground floor to check on".

I thanked him and watched him go, the light slowly fading as he walked away.

"Now then Kit, you need to eat", I shut the door and headed back over to the kitchen, swinging my torch lazily around, before landing on the spot where Kit was. Or rather, wasn't.

"Er, Kit?" I shone my torch around the kitchen, landing on a small curled up figure, sitting in an open cupboard under the surface of the counter. I crouched down and examined him, from his shaking tail, to the haunted look in his eyes.

"Hey", I said softly, reaching out and tilting his quivering chin up to face me. Tears glistened at the corners of him eyes, as a deep crash of thunder came from outside, making him yelp and pull away from me.

"Oh Kit.." I carefully pulled him out of his hiding place and bundled him up in my arms, rocking his small body back and forth while he buried his head in my neck. "You should have said you were afraid.."

"You never asked", A small whine escaped his lips, and despite the grim situation, I smiled at his smart retort.

"Is it just the storm, or is it something else?" I padded over to my room and placed him on the bed,  before lying down and wrapping my arms around him.

"I've always been scared of storms", he spoke into my chest, tightening his own arms around my waist. "But.." I felt warm tears soak through my shirt, and I hugged him tighter, my heart aching for his sobbing mewls.

"Was it, your um, previous owner?" I whispered, afraid to ask such a personal question while he was in this state.

"Yes", He swallowed, " In this sort of situation, he would torture me. Laugh at me each time the thunder came, it was .. really terrifying. Before I knew it, he was beginning to use it against me, taking advantage of me while I was in this condition. He even..even...".

Kit hiccuped and began to wail, his cries filling my ears. I nuzzled my head into his neck and pulled him right against me, whispering reassuring words to him as he continued to release all of his built up sadness.

A sudden wave of anger hit my chest. I was going to make him pay, whoever had done this to my Kit was going to hell for what they had done to him. And I was the one going to send him there.

I admit I had fallen pretty hard for this beautiful cat boy. Whenever I was around him, my heart would beat faster, and a feeling of complete happiness would wash over my entire body, as if, as long as I knew he was safe, I would be content.

"Kit.." I murmured in his soft ear, as soon as he had quietened down. " Kit, I think I may be in love with you.." My cheeks flushed red, and I thanked the darkness surrounding us.

I felt him shuffle up the mattress, until his eyes were the same level as mine, and our noses were almost touching.

"Really?" He sniffed and stared at me, his bright amber eyes still shining even in the total blackout.

"Yup", I nodded, and planted a swift kiss on the end of his cold little nose. He squealed with delight and cuddled up to me.

"I love you too", He whispered into my chest and drifted to sleep. I lay awake, listening to the steady sound of breathing coming from his pink lips. My head was a mess, matching the state my feelings were in.

Only a few things were clear to me at the moment; I was falling in love with Kit, I still loved Dan, and I wanted to kill Kit's old owner. The feeling I had for Dan, confused me the most. I was sure they were there, because I could feel them whenever he was near, but I just didn't know why they remained.

The only purpose they served was the cold, painful reminder of my love for him, a love that was slowly turning into deep hatred.