Chapter 30

Kat
February 24, 2005

*

Three days later

*

Right. Left.
Right. Left.
One foot in front of the other.

In. Out.
In. Out.
Don't forget to breathe.

Right. Left.
In. Out.
Right. Left.
In. Out.
Right. Left.

I love the feeling of the pavement under my feet. I feel so free. I can just lose myself in my head and absorb the nature surrounding me.

In. Out.
Right. Left.
In. Out.
Right. Left.

I finally convinced Ness to come with me, but I'm pretty sure she wants to kill me. If her heavy breathing and frequent requests to stop are any indication.

"Hey, can we take a break? I'm dying over here." I stop next to her as she bends over, hands on her knees, gasping for air. "Oh. My. God." She's sucking in air between each word.

I laugh, taking a swig from my water bottle. "How the fuck are you laughing?" She chugs her water. "I. Can't. Even. Breathe."

She eyes me, still breathing hard. "How the fuck do you do this everyday?" I shrug, smiling. I can do it everyday because I do it every day.

I laugh again, earning a glare. "Bitch!"

She throws her water bottle at me, but I catch it. "It's not my fault you're out of shape, whore."

"Yeah, well, I don't have all the free time you do, apparently." I toss her water back to her, but it bounces of of her hand, landing on the grass.

"Oh yeah? Are you you busy making out with loverboy?" I make kissing sounds as she bends down to pick up her water.

"Yeah, exactly. So, how come you never spend time with your loverboy?" Crap. How did this turn around on me?

"We've just been... busy." And I asked him to leave me alone. That's normal, right? Totally.

"Uh huh... Usually new couples are stuck together for the first few weeks, maybe even months." Why didn't I think of this?

"Well, we're just not normal." In a very literal sense.

"Clearly..." She glares at me, with her hands on her hips. Uh oh. Can she tell it isn't real?

"Ness, what do you want from me here?" I feel a very strong urge to literally run from this conversation.

"I want you to open up about what's going on." Crap. She knows. She has to know. This is bad.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Deny. Deny. Deny.

"What happened? Did you guys have a fight? Did you realize what an ass he is and dump him? Just tell me." Oh, thank god. She doesn't know.

"We just had a little disagreement... and we're taking a little time apart." That's pretty much true. Kinda.

"About what?" She steps closer to me, immediately switching from skeptical to supportive friend.

"Oh, you know..." Crap. What can I say? The level of fakeness to our relationship. Probably not.

"The L bomb." She smacks her forehead. "Of course. I should have known. I'm sorry, Kat."

She steps forward, wrapping a sweaty arm around my equally sweaty shoulders. I feel disgusting. I need a shower.