Counting Seconds

Chyna had run out into the wilderness and kept on running

Chyna had run out into the wilderness and kept on running. Hands covering her mouth she ran into a great old Oak tree. leaning against it, high up in the hills, she gazed at the flaking bark of the tree. Turning around to press her back against the trunk of the large tree, Chyna cast her eyes up to the sky. Long branches  reaching up into it. Chyna slid down to the ground. "Mama...what do I do?" she asked.  hands gripping the soft soil.

Her father would have never wanted her to have fallen for a white man, no less a confederate. Her father was, after all, fighting against the Rebels with he was killed. Furthermore, he was Gullah.  She knew how he would have felt, she knew how she should have felt. But just like her people, they were not all to be judged for each was an individual. This was what her mother had taught her. Chyna sniffled and leaned her head back against the tree. She  liked the way Ellison made her feel, she felt relevant.  He gave her a warm validity  she didn't know if it was love. What she knew of Love was no more than that of her Mother. This was different yet one thing was the same. A smile from him made her heart swell up and it felt like the smile itself had hugged her. 

Chyna sighed heavily. She couldn't make sense of her own thoughts.

She had sat under that old oak tree for so long that, though she was gazing up at the sky through the branches, she had not noticed the murky purple the sky was turning. Nor the first speckles of stars pop through the clouds.

"you been here all this time?" 

Cap's voice broke through Chyna's loud mind. She slowly tore her eyes away from the sky and to Cap. Blinking several times. "Willaim?" she asked Cap grimaced "oops sorry" Chyna muttered "Cap?" she corrected herself. "You've got Uncle Ellison about to have a heart attack back home" Cap said walking to  Chyna's side. Chyna didn't reply but looked down to her side avoiding his gaze awkwardly.  Cap arched a brow and pulling up his trousers a bit sat down at her side. He looked around at the darkening woods before side glancing at her  "so what's eatin ya?" He asked, doing so so casually Chyna nearly laughed.