fifty one

"U-uncle?" I manage to stammer, staring at Aaron in disbelief.

Harry steps I'm front of me, his posture rigid. "What do you want?" He snaps at Aaron.

"We need to talk to Rose. That's all." A wicked grin spreads across Aaron's face. It's hard for me to believe this is the same boy that asked me out for dinner five months ago--the smart, nice medical intern.

"What did you want to speak to her about?"

"I believe you know exactly what we want to speak to her about."

My heart drops to my feet.

I step around Harry so I can see his face. "You knew," I breath in realization. "You knew Aaron was--was--"

"Rose, I'm counting to three," Aaron says, cutting me off before Harry can respond. "You'd better come with me."

"And if I don't?"

Aaron laughs darkly.

"She's not going anywhere."

At the top of the stairs stands Zayn, arms crossed over his chest.

Aaron turns around, a smirk spreading across his face. "Oh, what do we have here?"

Someone else steps into the stairwell. I recognize the face and blonde hair as Niall's.

"A big, fat can of whup-ass," Niall says, smirking.

Harry smirks as well, running his tongue over his teeth.

I feel confused, but I'm intrigued by the turn of events.

Does this mean Harry, Zayn and Niall all are rebelling?

Zayn and Niall walk down the stairs to stand by me and Harry. Niall winks at me.

"Alright, boys," Aaron says. "If this is how shit's going go, so be it. I think you're forgetting the power of Wolfe Enterprises, and Alec."

"We're the ones dealing with the money that goes to Alec, and without us Wolfe Enterprises isn't shit," Harry spits.

"You're wrong," Aaron sneers.

"No, he's not," Zayn says. "He's completely right."

"What I'm wondering here is how a little fuck like you managed to date Rose," Niall says.

Zayn, Harry and Niall all chuckle lightly as Aaron locks his jaw.

"I'm wondering the same thing," I say and Harry catches my eye. I feel like melting under his heavy, approving gaze.

Aaron takes a step forward and grips my wrist, yanking me toward him. I try to pull away, but he's too strong.

Harry moves instantly, but Zayn grabs his arm.

"Stop," I say to Aaron. "I don't know what you want from me, but you're sure as hell not going to get it," I spit, my eyes flashing with disgust at him.

"Wrong again, Rosie," Aaron says, beginning to tug me back up the stairs.

Adrenaline rushes through me as I reach up and slap him across the face, hard. Perhaps even harder than what he did to me the night we broke up. And it feels damn good.

I yank my arm away from him and step back next to Harry.

I feel Harry's warm hand press to my lower back almost protectively and my pulse quickens.

Aaron clutches his cheek in pain, his gaze venomous.

Niall and Zayn, meanwhile, are cracking up at Aaron's pain.