Back to Hogwarts

Back to Hogwarts

It was a few days later that James, Sirius, and Peter returned to Hogwarts, along with the rest of the students that had gone home for the holidays. The holiday had been sufficient enough time for Peter to come to the decision that he would let the whole werewolf thing go - for now, at least - and he rejoined James and Sirius in their usual compartment on the Hogwarts Express as though nothing had transpired amongst them. They shared licorice wands, paid for by James's pocket money, and dared each other to eat the grey and brown Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, laughing and exchanging tales about their Christmases.

Peter was very impressed with Sirius's new broomstick and asked to hold it, running his fingers over the lovely plate that declared it's model number on the handle. Sirius was very proud and excited for a chance to go out to the pitch with James sometime after quidditch practice to have a go on the broom. They'd done quite a lot of quidditch playing over the holiday in the great empty field behind the Potter's house. It had been like riding lightening compared to the Hogwarts school brooms. "If you'd had that broom back at try outs you would've been a shoe-in for the team," James said with relish when they'd tested it out. "You'll have to try out again after this term. There's going to be three spots open once Derek, Bilius, and Alex leave."

This was a sentiment repeated by Peter on the train to Hogwarts. "Could you try out at least for the tourney again Illvermorny?" he asked.

"I reckon you need to already be on a team to try out," lamented Sirius, "That's the point of the tourney, isn't it? The best of all the houses have a go against the best of all their houses?"

"We could ask Derek, though, couldn't we?" James suggested. "Maybe he'll accept a last minute try out for the tourney. I mean, we are his mates and all. Sort of. Maybe he'll make an exception for you."

"Maybe," said Sirius doubtfully. But James wasn't willing to give up so easily and persisted that he would ask Derek first thing when they reached the school.

They arrived to Hogsmeade and were carried up to the school by the great horseless carriages and dropped off at the stairs that led into the doors. There was a considerable amount of bustling and chatter as the students all pushed their way into the castle. The boys made their way up to Gryffindor Tower, still talking excitedly about the holiday as they went. Bilius Weasley was waiting outside the portrait hole, wearing a great big top hat that he'd gotten over the holiday, and greeting the students with the new password into the common room.

"It's Minerva," said Bilius lowly, as the three boys approached him, "McGonagall's first name."

"Got it, thanks mate," said James and they climbed in through the portrait hole.

The common room was a buzz of students catching up with their friends, reuniting after the time apart, sharing tales of how their Christmases had gone. Sirius's eyes swept the common room for Remus, but he didn't see him, and he bounded toward the stairs up to their dormitory, followed by James and Peter. They were running so quick to find their mate that they nearly ran right into Derek Bell, coming out of the seventh year dorms with a sullen look about him.

"Hey! Derek!" shouted James, ignoring the sour expression that twisted Derek's features, "Sirius got a broom for Christmas. You reckon he could try out for the tourney?"

Derek barely looked at the broom, "Only players on organized teams can try out for the tourney," he replied. "I'll see you lot later, alright? I've got to go." He pushed 'round them and went on down the stairs.

"That's what I thought," Sirius said.

"Well blimey, he could've been friendlier about it, though, you reckon?" James said, frowning, "What's got his knickers in a bunch, I wonder? Should be in a better mood after the holidays!"