Engaging Rumors

Engaging Rumors

James's father being a hero to muggles was big news throughout the castle in no time at all. James felt a bit of a celebrity as people stopped him in the hall to congratulate him on having such a brave father. "Just think," said one of the Ravenclaw third-years, "If he hadn't been there to help, that whole family would've been burned alive!"

"Yeah," James agreed, nodding. The moment the girl had walked away he turned to Sirius, "Bloody hell, I ought to start charging folks to shake my hand, I'd make loads of galleons." They were on their way to Defense Against the Dark Arts and had been stopped no less than three times by curious and excited students.

"Well you really should be proud of him, shouldn't you?" Lily said, following along with them, side-by-side to Remus, hugging her books to her chest, "I mean your father's really done something marvelous hasn't he? He's stood up against the Dark Lord."

"He stood up against an overactive heater's what he's done," James said.

"But in a roundabout way it's against the Dark Lord," Lily argued. "I mean, the Dark Lord thinks Muggle lives are useless and that they shouldn't be protected by wizards. Your dad used magic to save them. That's something Voldemort would never want."

"I just wish that everyone would stop making such a blasted big deal about it," James said. "The more of a deal they make of it, the more likely it is to upset Voldemort and the more likely it is for them to end up killed. So excuse me if I'm not bursting with excitement over the thought of it."

They'd reached the classroom and Peter came to a stop in the doorway. "Well blimey."

"What is it?" asked Sirius, eager to stop James and Lily from arguing any further. But Peter didn't have time to answer as Sirius bounded around the corner - followed by James, Lily, and Remus - to see that Professor Blythe was back in the Defense room, her back to them. On the wall behind her desk was a large projection of a fearsome looking ghoul. "Awesome," Sirius said with excitement, elbowing James, "Looks like it's going to be a fun one, 'ey mate?"

"Yeah, brilliant," said James, but he still felt distracted.

The class was a good one, it was quite interesting learning about ghouls and as much as the boys liked Professor McGonagall, they couldn't help but feel that Chriselda Blythe taught the subjects a bit more excitingly. But when Sirius raised his hand and asked Professor Blythe what had kept her away so long, she simply shook her head and said that it was a long story, better suited for another time. He noticed she kept her ring carefully turned so that the shiny diamond stayed facing her palm and his suspicions were awakened once again.

Who was Chriselda Blythe engaged to? And why was it such a big secret? What had gotten her suspended from teaching and why was she back now? What had changed between then and now?

It turned out that turning her ring about couldn't keep the rumors from spreading. As students had Defense classes, the news of Professor Blythe's mysterious engagement filled the halls of Hogwarts and by lunch the Great Hall was abuzz with people sorting through their thoughts on the topic. When Derek Bell came in and set himself down, however, Bilius and Alex both silenced immediately, shooting nervous glances at Derek.

Derek grabbed his food and started eating before he noticed their silence, and then he raised his eyebrow and looked between the two. "Alright," he said, "What's going on? Why are we being so quiet?"

Bilius and Alex exchanged glances, then Alex said, "Do you still fancy Chriselda Blythe?"

Derek shrugged as he shoveled applesauce into his mouth quickly.