48th Chapter ♣ Zion's Comfort

"Corvan is the youngest first-ranker the Twelve ever had."

Chapter Forty- Eight ♣ Zion's Comfort

To think that Courtney von Whatever de la Something was coming back today of all days sent a chill down Valeriana's spine. She left hating Valeriana and there was a big chance she would come back hating Valeriana even more.

Did she really have to face her so soon?

"Whatever. Haters gonna hate," she muttered, quoting a Taylor Swift song.

She felt worried.

Valeriana knew that this was coming sooner or later, but she wasn't ready. She wasn't ready to face Courtney and her wrath. Just thinking about what could happen made her want to shiver in fear and cower on a corner somewhere.

But, of course, she wouldn't let this get to her.

Was she overreacting?

She started chewing on her bottom lip. Courtney couldn't be that bad, right?

Still, she never felt so nervous before. As she sank into her usual seat in History class, she thought of the possibilities upon Courtney's return. She knew it was useless to just sit there and worry. She should be preparing herself instead.

"Valeriana!" A joyful voice cut through the air, but the girl remained dazed. "A flower for you!"

It was Zion. He waved a freshly plucked daisy in front of Valeriana's face and she accepted it without a word, still staring into space.

"Hm?" Zion brushed a blue lock that obstructed his vision. "How odd. You're not kicking me? I thought for sure I'll meet your fist."

She didn't answer.

"Valeriana?" He questioned.

Silence.

He breathed heavily. "Does that mean you accept me? Finally?" He said in excitement before smashing the girl into an embrace.

Shocked, Valeriana snapped out of her reverie and found herself caged inside the arms of her former enemy. Realizing it was Zion from the flash of blue she caught from the corner of her eyes, she gritted her teeth. She pulled back her arm, curling her hand into a fist before shoving it straight to Zion's side.

The blue-haired lad grunted and pulled away. "Ow. You broke my ribs," he wheezed out, before a small smile cracked on his lips. "There we go. That's more like it."

"What the hell are you doing?" She growled.

"Well . . ." He grimaced in pain as he hopped away. "I thought . . ." he trailed off.

"Thought what?"

He blew out a sigh and patted the part where she hit him. He made himself comfortable on the seat right next to Valeriana, which Chavi usually took—but she was nowhere to be seen at the moment. He looked at her knowingly, a gaze which she mirrored with sheer irritation.

"You seemed to be not your usual self a while ago. Were you thinking about anything?" he asked.

She looked away and rested her head on her table. "None of your business," she muttered.

"Please don't treat me so coldly," he told her.

She ignored him.

"Right," he muttered. "I know that my actions might've come as a shock to you," he started. "And it might not have been that believable, but trust that I'm serious about everything I say. Believe me, I am not the type to lie about what I feel. I say what comes to mind and that's it."