Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Hailey

It had probably been an hour since Chase stormed out, and here I was still sitting against the wall with my head in my hands and tears streaming down my cheeks. I was actually pretty sure I was sitting in a puddle at the moment, but I couldn't bring myself to care. I shouldn't feel this emotionally wrecked over a werewolf. But here I am, crying over the fact that he left.

And I felt so very alone.

Thinking about it again, more sobs wracked my body and fresh tears began to spill over. I cried so loud I hadn't heard the door open, or the footsteps coming towards me until I looked up and saw a pair of black boots in front of me. Looking up, I found a scowling, agitating face.

"What do you want?" I asked in between sniffles.

Joel tilted his head to the side, "Can't I just visit my favorite huntress friend?"

"No," I bit, "because we hate each other."

He shrugged and sat down in the hallway across from me, "Fair enough. Anywho, The Boss wants me here to help you finish up the job."

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, that's not gonna happen."

"And why is that?" He questioned in a challenging tone, raising an eyebrow.

Biting my lip, I stayed silent. What the hell was I supposed to say now? 'Sorry, I can't kill the rest of this pack with you because I kind of love the leader'? Yeah, like that'd go over well. Instead, I asked a question, "You said The Boss wants you here, did you meet him?"

"Nah," He answered, shrugging coolly, "Michael relayed the message for me. He seemed really off about it. Nice subject change, by the way."

"I try," I threw him a fake, sarcastic smile.

He sighed and stood up, picking up the large duffel bag beside him that I hadn't noticed before, "Well, anyways, it doesn't matter what you say is or isn't going to happen, because I'm all set to start going to school with you tomorrow, my dear cousin. How exciting is that?"

"We're not going to school," I shot at him, standing up and making my way upstairs.

I was halfway up them when he called out, "Why the hell not?"

"Because my cover was blown," I reply quietly, but I knew he heard me from his stunned silence. Finishing my way up the steps, I made my way into my room. I stared at the bed first, with the blankets and pillows all in disarray. Sighing, I looked to my right at the vanity and the hole in it from where Chase stabbed the blade in it.

Running my fingers across it, I stray tear fell and landed next to it. Sighing, I wiped it away and walked over to the window, crawling out of it and up onto the roof. Sure I could easily die if I fell and landed on my head or neck, but there wasn't much fear in me at all. I've never been one who is frightened easily, and this was no exception. If I fell, I fell. I'm sure it would be easier that way. Then I wouldn't have to deal with all of the repercussions that were sure to come my way.

Joel's window, the one next to mine, must've been open as I heard him talking, "No, sir, listen her cover's been blown I don't know what you want me to-- Yes, I understand that. I'm not willing to risk our lives if we know it's a losing battle. No, listen, all I'm saying is we need more back up. You know what and who we're going up against." There was a long pause before he sighed, "And I get that, believe me, but--" Another sigh. "We just need a few more hunters to finish off the job. Alright, fine. You're the boss."

I assumed he had hung up, as I heard him groan and I looked up to the half full moon, a little higher in the sky than it was before when I was on my date with Chase. Oh, how drastically this night has changed. At the beginning, I was having a perfect evening with the perfect guy. And now I've found myself crying on my roof because that perfect guy found out my not-so-perfect secret.

David's car pulled into the driveway and I watched as he hopped out nonchalantly, even whistling as he made his way inside. Boy, was that about to change as soon as Joel tells him what I did.

What I did.

Of course, this whole big mess would be my fault. I couldn't keep my emotions separate from the job, and now I paid the price of Chase knowing I am Artemis. The hunter who has been terrorizing his pack and killing his pack slowly for the past couple months or so. I don't know why I'm still holding out the slightest bit of hope for him, what I did is unforgivable.

I wouldn't even forgive myself for this. I guess it's like what he told me, he couldn't handle the guilt knowing he hurt me. Right now, I can't stand the fact knowing how badly I've hurt him. Physically and emotionally. I killed his pack members, crushing his spirit and then I literally crushed his nose when I broke it.

Taking in a shaky breath, it hitched when I heard shouting from within the house. I guess Joel told David everything.

The sound of a door being thrown open made me jump and David yelled, "Hailey? Hailey where the fuck are you?!"

I guess it was my bedroom door he threw open. He yelled again, "Where is she?"

"I don't know, I saw her walk in here!" Joel exclaimed.

David scoffed before speaking bitterly, "Well this is just perfect, not only can I not get her to keep her cover, I can't even keep track of her! Awesome."

Laying back on the roof instead of sitting, I continued to stare up at the pale moon. I could see why werewolves would worship it, it really is sort of stunning. Sighing, I closed my eyes and listened to the sounds of nature. The leaves rustling in the breeze, crickets chirping and the sound of the wind blowing by me.

Maybe the wind could just blow me away.

~

a/n: Aww, Hailey is so sad and broken up :( refresher on who Joel is, go to chapter 1 he was in that! He's a hunter that Hailey hates. Also they're not actually cousins that's what their cover story was going to be if haileys wasn't blown!

QOTC: Who do you think Joel was talking to on the phone?