Chapter 37

A true hero isn't measured by the size of his strength, but the strength of his heart.~Hercules.

Dedicated to TheWhovianTrekkie for the wonderful votes and comments you've been leaving on my chapters! Plus, I haven't found another person who loves Merlin aside from one of my friends, so that's wonderful!

Dylan

I woke up the next morning with a pounding headache and a dog on my head. It's really not as odd as it sounds, but ever so often, Charlotte sneaks into my room and sleeps on my bed. She, however, doesn't prefer to sleep at the foot of the bed, but quite literally, ON my head.

I groaned, and pressed the heel of my palm into the side of my face, trying to alleviate the headache. It proved to not work, so I lifted the dog off my head and placed her on the bed, walking into the bathroom to grab a few pills and swallow them. Opening the bathroom mirror, I made sure not to swallow any of Siena's anxiety pills. The container seemed to be about halfway full, which seemed to be correct. She still hadn't told her parents what was going on, but since she was a legal adult, they couldn't force her.

I grabbed a few aspirin and swallowed them dry, hoping the medicine would take effect as soon as possible. I climbed into the shower and turned the water on scalding hot, hoping to wake myself up. Luckily, it worked, and soon I was alert enough not to kill myself while trying to make breakfast.

Today was the first day back from break, and I had my Psych assignment to turn in. I had done the best I could, interviewing the bagging attendant at the grocery store yesterday. Although I was the more outgoing of the duo, I was outgoing with the people that I knew, not everyone. Although, I did have a good flirting game. But that was nothing compared to Jake's.

That reminded me, I had to try and talk to Jake about Calli today. I hadn't seen him since Christmas, since he had gone off to Florida to visit his grandparents. He just came back last night, and had stayed up all night in a coffee and Red Bull induced haze to finish the programming assignment his professor had given him.

I checked my watch, and realized that if we didn't eat now, we would be leaving hungry, and Siena would be bitchier than usual. She needs her food.

"Hey." I said, looking up as she shuffled in. Although she had showered and was ready, she was in a constant state of exhaustion, and she gave me a bitter look as she sat down and gulped down her coffee.

"Is everything ok?" I asked, sitting next to her and fixing my gaze on her. She stared straight back and gave me a silent nod, her face impassive.

"Ok." I murmured, slightly put-off, but I decided to just roll with it and accept whatever mood she was in.

We drove quietly to class, Siena uncharacteristically silent. Normally, I enjoyed silence with her, but she seemed different today. Like something had happened and she didn't want to tell me about it. Her entire demeanor was odd, like she was sad and depressed.

"Siena?" I took a hand off the wheel and gently bumped her shoulder with it. "Is everything ok?"

She looked over at me and nodded, speaking for the first time this morning. "Yeah, I'm fine." I didn't miss the strain in her voice, and that tipped me off. Something was definitely wrong.

"You know you can talk to me." I prodded gently. "I am your best friend for a reason."

She looked back from staring at the window and gulped. "Yeah. Sure."

We soon reached the campus, and instantly Siena was off, walking so fast her shoulder bag thumped against her thigh. I sent an apologetic look to a confused Jake and a worried Calli, and jogged after her.