Chapter 6

Hi there!

This chapter is dedicated to Misty7236 because she is such a sweet fan and always so nice. :)

Also, please tell me if you see any mistakes, some of you did and I was very grateful! Also, some people tried to guess what would happen next, and that was so entertaining to read:)

Enjoy the chapter!

--------------

Chapter 6

It did not take us long to reach the small town. At this time of the night, it was quiet, but light still shone out of some windows. Chase seemed to know his way around, and he led us straight to a small wooden house.

Chase knocked at the door, which was soon opened by an old man with silvery wings.

"Chase, my boy!" The old man exclaimed. "Come on in!"

Soon, I found myself sitting in front of a fire with Chase perched on the edge of a table and the old man rummaging through a cupboard.

"Ah, here is the healing kit!" He proclaimed as he got out a brown box. I assumed he meant first aid kit, but then, who knew with winged-people?

"So, Chase," the old man said while getting out a roll of bandages from the box, "why don't you introduce me to your pretty friend right here?"

Chase smiled. "This is Hailey. And Hailey, this is Mortimer, a friend of mine. As you can see, he is Winged, but he lives with humans. He likes it better that way."

Mortimer gave me a warm smile. "Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, young lady!" He turned back to Chase. "Now let me look at that wing of yours."

Chase took off his shirt and I felt my cheeks redden as I looked away. Damn, that boy looked good!

Mortimer shook his head as he looked at Chase's torn wing. "Whatever it was, it got you good."

Chase recognized the subtle inquiry and answered, "It was a morsydrus. It attacked us on the road between that last town and here. It just dropped down right in front of us. It must've been afloat for a pretty good while, because it never left the ground while we fought."

I registered this new information as Mortimer's eyebrows rose in surprise. "A morsydrus? Are you sure?"

"Well, unless you know of any other snake-like monsters that spit acid that can dissolve concrete, then I don't see what else it could have been."

To my relief, it seemed that there weren't too many of those around, as Mortimer seemed to accept Chase's story.

"That is...Very strange, to say the least. A morsydrus rarely leaves its cave, but I have never heard of one coming to a human-populated area, much less one by the sea." He said thoughtfully while opening a bottle of a bluish liquid and cleaning the blood on Chase's wing.

There was silence as Mortimer continued to work on healing Chase's wing. He seemed deep in thoughts, and although a million questions were going through my mind, I didn't dare interrupt him.

Chase gritted his teeth as Mortimer cleaned his wound, and finally broke the silence. "They sent it."

"Uh? Well, perhaps, but you can't be sure of that, my boy. Strange things are happening more and more often these days." Mortimer said.

"Who's 'they'?" I ventured.

Chase turned his head to look back at me. "Our enemy."

"Oh."

"I'm telling you, Mortimer, it had to be them. That thing was huge, almost as twice as big as usual! I mean, I didn't even know a morsydrus that big existed! Its fangs were as long as my forearms!"

It was a relief to learn that giant snakes weren't a common sight, but I hoped that my luck would change and I would stop having encounters with weird magical creatures.

"That is indeed strange." Mortimer answered calmly.

"Strange? Well, want to know what else was strange? Its eyes were yellow, but at one point I swear they turned red!" Chase half-yelled, annoyed with Mortimer's lack of response.

Mortimer raised his head to look at Chase in the eyes. "Are you sure of that?"

"Yes!" Chase answered, exasperated.

The old man turned to me. "Hailey, did you see that happening?"

I shook my head. "It was turned away from me half of the time, and I was a bit too scared to worry about the color of its eyes, sir, so I'm not sure."

Chase shot me a tired half-smile. Apparently, that was a good answer.

Mortimer sighed and finished bandaging Chase's wing. "Alright, you two. You're dead on your feet. Let's get you to bed. Chase, I'll go fetch you some blankets and you can sleep on the couch. Hailey will go in the guest room."

At the mention of a bed, I felt weariness crash down on me. The adrenaline rush I had gotten when seeing Chase injured had worn off, and I fought to keep my eyelids open.

I was vaguely aware of Mortimer leading me to my room. I half-fell, half-laid down on the cushy bed before falling into a deep sleep.

---------------
Hope you like it! If so, vote or comment to let me know :)