Chapter Five

Let me know what you guys think!
xoxo
___________________________

Delia
.
.
.

I realized now, sitting down that I only had about 20 minutes until my next class. I picked up a couple books that might help with my essay for Herbology and left the library to sit outside a minute to calm my nerves. I was walking to the courtyard when I saw a familiar head of unmistakable white blonde hair. Someone doesn't want to be followed. I turned the corner and hid behind a pillar, peeping my head out to see him. Malfoy looked behind him and I quickly pressed my back against the pillar I was hiding behind. My breath hitched in my throat when I heard the sound of a door closing. Confused, I turned back to see what looked like a door melting back into its façade of a wall. I walked up to the wall and placed my hand on it, finding it was its usual smooth texture. What was Malfoy doing looking completely guilty?

I heard the bell ring and sighed, knowing I had to go to Charms. Thankfully I had that class with Harry and he smiled upon seeing me enter. Professor Flitwick had us do some spells from last year to refresh our memories. The class was over sooner than I'd anticipated because Harry had been making jokes about the professor's height. I thought the professor was kind of adorable. I had a free period so I took it upon myself to look for Malfoy. I didn't see him that day and nearly a week went by before I spotted him again.
I sat in the courtyard facing where Malfoy had disappeared with a clear view. I tucked my hair behind my ear and brought out the notes I'd taken for Charms, glancing up from the book every so often. After about a half hour I saw him. Malfoy walked swiftly down the hallway looking utterly disappointed, his eyes glued to the ground. Malfoy had started to look almost sickly, from what I saw in class. He'd become distant and barely engaged with his goons. Every once in a while he would look up at me with bloodshot eyes and noticeable bags under his eyes. I know it was stupid to worry since he'd been a complete prick since the day I'd met him but he looked like hell.

He walked across the courtyard most likely to go back into his common room. Only, I was wrong. Malfoy walked straight down towards the Black Lake, and without thinking, I'd gotten up to follow him.

I kept my distance to that he wouldn't see me which was a lot easier than I thought it'd be since his blonde hair stood out amongst the trees and branches. He sat down by the water and I heard soft sobs coming from him. I ached for the ability to do something without him seeing me to comfort him in some way. I leaned forward so I could see a bit better behind the tree I was hiding behind when a twig snapped under my foot. Before I could even react, Malfoy was on his feet and a jet of blue light came right towards me.

I flew back and hit something hard, rendering me limp on the damp earth. My chest was tight and it hurt to breathe. I heard Malfoy cursing under his breath as he approached me, still pointing his wand at my face. When he realized who I was, he lowered his wand and his eyes were filled with worry as he squatted next to me.
"Damn it, Edwards. Why the fuck were you following me?" He spat angrily. I felt something warm trickle down the side of my head as I sat up and felt light-headed. My eyes spun out of focus and I squeezed them in an effort to stop it.
"Christ. You're bleeding, you idiot. If you hadn't been following me-" I scoffed in anger, opening my eyes and glaring at him.
"Oh so it's my fault you fucking used a defensive spell on me and cut my head?"
"You shouldn't have followed me. I thought you were someone else." Malfoy looked down for a second before pulling out a small black handkerchief out of his jacket pocket. It had the initials "D.M." embroidered on the corner in a silver thread and I bit my lip. He raised his hand and I cringed at his raised arm, to which he looked at me with the most hurt expression. Malfoy quickly rolled his eyes and dabbed on my temple. I winced in pain and he walked to the lake to soak the cloth in the water so that it wouldn't hurt me so much. I cringed again when he tried to help me and I could see how angry he'd gotten.
"I'm not going to kill you." I looked at him nervously and he sighed handing me the cloth, motioning that I do it myself.
"You know, you're lucky it's not worse, Malfoy. You could've really hurt me."
"But you're fine so drop it, freak."

I looked up at him in disbelief as tears welled up in my eyes again. I got up almost too quickly and went to walk away from him when I fell. He rushed to my side to help me up. A tear slipped down my cheek and he wiped it away with his thumb. Malfoy's finger was cold against my skin and I stared at his pink lips. What the hell? I looked down and we sat there for awhile in silence. After about 10 minutes he finally looked at me with those piercing grey eyes and I gulped.
"I didn't mean to hurt you. Christ, if I'd known I wouldn't have even raised my wand..... Why did you follow me?" Malfoy looked straight into my hazel eyes searching for the truth. Why was he so untrusting?
"I don't know. I wasn't thinking and I'm sorry I did."
"It's my fault. I'm...I'm sorry, Delia. I never wanted any of this." I furrowed my brows at the last sentence, confused about what "any of this" meant.
"Is that an apology coming from Draco Malfoy I hear?" I chuckled and he rolled his eyes, a small smile tugging at his lips.
"This doesn't change anything, Edwards. You're still a freak." He said coldly.
"And you're still a vile ferret." I slowly got up using the tree next to me to balance. I was considerably less dizzy than before and I turned to him.
"I'll go first. You wouldn't wanna be seen with someone like me, now, would you? You've got a reputation to uphold." Malfoy looked down but I knew he was silently agreeing with what I'd just said. I was a Gryffindor and a half-blood. We could never be seen together, regardless of the circumstances. That was how the world worked. I headed for the infirmary seeing as I likely needed a few stitches.
I'm...I'm sorry, Delia.
I realized for the first time, that Malfoy had called me by my first name. A smile threatened to emerge on my face but I shook my head. He'd felt pity for me, that's all. But I couldn't help his voice saying over and over again,
I'm...I'm sorry, Delia.