Chapter 30

"You departed from my sight
and entered my thoughts,
travelled from my eyes
to my heart."
- Al-Abbas Ibn Al-Ahnaf

I faced the darkness. A long stretch of darkness. But I sensed the illuminating light radiating from behind me- the lamp post. It was throwing an eerie glow on the dark sand around me. And I knew if I touched the sand, it would be as cold as death. I closed my eyes stubbornly as my legs unwillingly tried to drag my body around-

Something warm touched my face and my eyes flew wide open to morning sun light. Gasping, I jerked into a sitting position and squinted my eyes against the sun.

"Woah, relax. It's just me," a voice I knew very well by now said- Wes. I squinted against the bright light to look at his worried face.

"Well good morning to you too," he said in amusement. His lips twitched around the edges. He moved to sit at the edge of my bed. I felt my bed springs compress where he sat as I relaxed my breathing.

"What're you doing here?" I asked, adrenaline still coursing through me from being startled.

"My surprise, remember?" he smiled, bringing his hands up. Just then I noticed that in one hand he held a rose and in the other, coffee. 

"How did you get in?" I asked. My heart squeezed at the sight but my breathing was still uneven.

"You left your balcony door open," he smirked, seeming impressed by his own actions.

"Oh, thank you," I rubbed a hand to the side of my face.

"What's wrong, Kitty?" the smile on his face dropped, as did with the coffee and rose on my bedside.

I sighed, "Nothing. You just scared me, I guess." I closed my eyes, slipping back into my bed and pulling my covers along with me.

"Like I'm going to settle for that answer," he rolled his eyes and threw my covers back and slipped in. The cold morning air from the open balcony doors hit my bare legs, making me shiver, before Wes quickly threw the covers back over us.

"You just wanted an excuse to get into my bed," I pointed out.

"That just happens to be a bonus," he smiled at me angelically, throwing an arm around my shoulders as I snuggled into his chest. His sweet scent immediately enveloped me. And his warmth. How was he always so damn warm?!

We stayed like that for a few minutes in silence, just enjoying the moment.

"I had a nightmare, that's all," I felt stupid even as I said it.

"About your mom?" he asked softly, gently brushing my hair back from my face.

"It's always that one same dream," I explained.

"What is it?" he asked curiously, tracing a finger along my jawline. It felt surprisingly nice and comforting.

I pursed my lips. No one knew about this dream. Not even Eli.

"I just climbed your trellis to get up here which, let me tell you, wasn't as easy as it looked," Wes said. "Can I at least get some reward?"

I tilted my head back and kissed his cheek, causing the corners of his mouth to twitch into a smile.

"For once in my life, I didn't mean a physical reward," he laughed.

"I feel like I don't know you anymore," I said in mock horror.

"Sometimes there are more important things," he responded, pulling me tighter against him.

My hand reached a hand to his chin and gently slid his face down to mine to kiss his lips. He kissed me back softly, moving his lips gently against mine for a few seconds, before pulling my hand away and breaking the kiss.